theshortbus

Quick question on deployment

Newbie question, but it came up reading Brian´s "parachute and its pilot"

Is this right concerning deployment; (my understanding on what i read on G´s)

Is the brake toggles set to "half effect" to create greater drag on deployment, resulting in a stronger g force witch gives increased line tension for better inflation and stability during openings?

hope i´m not way out on this one... :$
Party ´til impact!

I think there are a number of factors involved with getting that brake setting "just right".

If you need detailed answers about that aspect, you might want to contact one of the gear manufacturers. My guess is that's well beyond the scope of most people here. Performance Designs would be a great place to start. http://performancedesigns.com
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Newbie question, but it came up reading Brian´s "parachute and its pilot"

Is this right concerning deployment; (my understanding on what i read on G´s)

Is the brake toggles set to "half effect" to create greater drag on deployment, resulting in a stronger g force witch gives increased line tension for better inflation and stability during openings?

hope i´m not way out on this one... :$

When you find out, I would like to know the answer too...

I however like the fact my canopy is not flying full speed ahead when I deploy because until I know where everyone is, I don't want to be flying into someone else...:P Especially under line twists.:)
Speaking from paragliding experience, I would imagine (guess only) that flying forward at full speed could add complications on opening - meaning, the canopy could dive as it wants to fly forward in the relative wind while you are still falling down.

Once the canopy is out of the bag the line tension is going to be there no matter how slow your canopy opens. If increased g-forces during opening were important then canopies like the Pilot, Safire2, Crossfire2, Spectre etc wouldn't be engineered to open so damn slowly!
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Brake settings are different for not only different types of canopies, but different sizes as well.

It's often a balancing act between soft openings and predictable openings, sometimes other factors as well.

Having a deeper brake setting can often promote a more symmetrical inflation but speed the opening as well. No setting at all on a modern 9 cell will often enable a canopy to snivel but the inflation may be prone to be less symmetrical.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.