millertimeunc

Weather Question

I dont know how did you manage to tell when to hook above the cloud since there is no real reference for you i tryed multiple times and would always go into the cloude at least half of my body but it is fun tho

True... I'm definitely not gonna be trying it near the ground anytime soon, just because I did it near a cloud... However, it has been my closest reference to date. I've been doing hook turns frequently, but I'm usually above 300ft when I do so, so it was nice to be much closer than that to the cloud.
Gravity Waits for No One.

I've been doing hook turns frequently, but I'm usually above 300ft when I do so, so it was nice to be much closer than that to the cloud.

Please tell me that 300ft is a typo, and that you meant to type 3000ft. :S

Don't forget that you can just as easily take some one out at three grand if you are yanking on risers and whipping toggles while not paying attention.

Why don't you practice something useful instead, like flat turns and stall recovery. Why do you need to be practicing hook turns at 40 jumps?
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

I've been doing hook turns frequently, but I'm usually above 300ft when I do so, so it was nice to be much closer than that to the cloud.

I think he meant that when he is landing on the ground he starts the hook turn at about 300 feet. When there is a cloud deck above 3,000 feet he can set up at less than 300 feet above the cloud deck and start his turn there. The cloud deck then simulates the ground, but without the consequences of turning too low.

Back in the day a cloud deck above 2,000 feet gave me a chance to "practice going in" with low pulls. I'd try to dump as close to the cloud as possible and see if I would have made it. Pretty fun, but as I have said before, jumping over clouds is dangerous and illegal. Of course once I knew how little altitude I really needed, low pulls over the ground became a part of my routine, and that was way stupid.
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

Back in the day a cloud deck above 2,000 feet gave me a chance to "practice going in" with low pulls. I'd try to dump as close to the cloud as possible and see if I would have made it. Pretty fun, but as I have said before, jumping over clouds is dangerous and illegal. Of course once I knew how little altitude I really needed, low pulls over the ground became a part of my routine, and that was way stupid.

:D:D:D

Don't forget that you can just as easily take some one out at three grand if you are yanking on risers and whipping toggles while not paying attention.

It seems to me that the general consensus here is that people don't pay attention under canopy. I think that there are accident stats to back that claim up too... but I don't think that that's any reason to prohibit radical airwork under canopy. Keep your head on a swivel, and try your best to stay on top of the situation- cause it's your neck whether you hit someone or they hit you.

Just think, how many people cross the road and watch the car that's decellerating to a stop in the lane they're about to step into? I've seen a more people just keep walking with their ipod earplugs in, not even turning their head than I've seen glance to see what's coming. When I cross, I don't even step into the lane till I see the b**** is gonna stop just fine. Same goes for jumping, you're responsible for you... and that's about what it comes down to.

***Why don't you practice something useful instead, like flat turns and stall recovery. Why do you need to be practicing hook turns at 40 jumps?

It's entertaining, great fun, and another step in skill building. If a jumper is comfy with doing something safely, cool, all the power to 'em. I started using front risers on approach on about jump 5... personal comfort (and apperently opinion) is different among different people. To each their own-
Safe landings-

Why don't you practice something useful instead, like flat turns and stall recovery. Why do you need to be practicing hook turns at 40 jumps?

1. I am ALWAYS very aware of my airspace. Especially if I'm making high-performance maneuvers.

2. At my DZ I typically land in a separate area from most or all of the other jumpers. When there's someone else that is going to be landing in my area I ALWAYS make monitoring their position relative to me a priority.

3. I HAVE been working on flat turns (three different methods), stall recovery, and accuracy. As well as a host of other maneuvers that Bill Von and my instructors have recommended to me previously.

4. On most of my jumps and all of my last 20 jumps I've been landing LESS than 20ft from my intended target.

5. I've only had one PLF so far, and it was intentional. All of my other landings have been soft stand up landings regardless of the wind conditions 0 to 25mph. (And no, I've never been dragged.)

6. I've read and am working on methods from "The Parachute and it's Pilot" by Brian Germain. So it's not like I'm just, "Hmm, I wonder what will happen if I try this..."

7. I feel that I'm ready to start working on more advanced canopy piloting/landing, just not at ground level yet. I don't plan on making any actual high-performance landings for quite some time. Maybe another 50 jumps I MIGHT consider doing straight front-riser landings, but NOT hooking it. And definitely NOT with anyone else around for me to hit.

Does that sound good enough for you?:P
Gravity Waits for No One.