msqueen

Injury in skydiving???

my major in college was abnormal psychology
and my minor was statistical analysis

It is too bad that you decided to skip your freshman English classes. :ph34r:

That is a combination that raises an eyebrow.

(I had to correct the spelling of analysis...it was driving me bats, guess I'm compulsive like that :ph34r:)

The Pessimist says: "It can't possibly get any worse!"
The Optimist says: "Sure it can!"

When comparing or thinking about different activities safety, I prefer to think about a whole day's activity. For me for skydiving that's 4 or 5 jumps, riding a motorbike is 4-6 hours in the saddle, driving the car is 400-600km.

Looking at the various accident rates and the resulting injuries, I'm certain that driving the car is the safest of these three, i.e. less risk of injury or death, and its a toss-up between riding the motorbike and skydiving for the most hazardous.

The statement that 'skydiving is safer than driving' is IMHO, frankly nonsensical. Ask your life insurance company whether they are more concerned that you drive or skydive? As a skydiver I have looked at the risks and accept them as an integral part of something I love doing.

Failure to fully appreciate the risks and hazards is the first step towards becoming a statistic. Be careful out there....
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -- Albert Einstein

Where can I go to find out how many people have been injuryed or killed skydiving?

Really, the only numbers are those that get reported.
Deaths get reported much more often than injuries so as far as numbers go, the death toll is more in line with reality.

USPA.org has some numbers. Make of them what you will. As you can see by many of the replies here, numbers can be manipulated to say anything you want. Changing parameters will give you different results...get the parameters right and you can declare and "validate" nearly any position.

As an aside, I would say that your worries are overshadowing the fun to be had and I see no point in pursuing any activity that produces more worry than fun.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

it is 1 in 87000 skydives end in death

1 in 66 000 drives ends in death

statistacly on an event based formula

in other words
number of deaths from event / number of events that took place

Which is why statics can be manipulated to say whatever you want them to, it's all in how you classify your data.

Lets say an skydiving event lasts 3 minutes, shouldn't we then break driving 'events' down into 3 minute increments as well? You know, exposure to risk at comparable time frames?

Gee I wonder how the fatality rate for every driver, broken down into 3 minute event increments, compares to the skydiving fatalities?

I do believe it shows skydiving is a wee bit more dangerous! :o

The Pessimist says: "It can't possibly get any worse!"
The Optimist says: "Sure it can!"

During some of my classes pertaining to engineering we have talked about ethical representation of statistics. Statistics can be misconstrued and represented in an unethical way. This is very critical in engineering when things that we do can affect thousands of people. If someone needs reassurance of the safety of an activity they are missing something. If the statement You Could Die strikes uncontrollable fear in you then maybe this isn't for you. The rewards we feel from skydiving outweigh the risks. We do not fear the statement We Could Die. We respect it.
Sky Canyon Wingsuiters