AnKaLi

Feets don't fail me now!

I give a whole new meaning to "skydancer". I kick out the door, and then I continue to argue with my legs (from the knee down) through freefall. It's different with each jump, so I'm not really consistant with this.
I'm an IAD student, and I tried an AFF jump last night, but I still couldn't get the damn legs in the right spot. I know it will come in due time, but my question is, should I go back to my 10 second delay with IAD, or should I spend the $$ to do another AFF jump?
My hopes were that I would get the feet thing down with AFF, but it seemed to be worse yesterday than it ever has been before, maybe because I was fighting with it so much?

I'm going to talk it over with some instructors at the DZ, but I thought I'd ask here too.

I can relate to that!!

Andy is right. THe tunnel is best, but if you can't get there......

Lay on your stomach on the floor and rest your feet on a chair or couch. Practice applying different levels of pressure on the chair with your toes. Alternate this with touching your toes together. (which you can also do in freefall)

Students kicking or “swimming” in freefall is not at all uncommon and that in and of itself is not necessarily a reason to not continue with AFF training.

The reason for it is you are not yet acclimated to the environment.
You see, we spend all of our lives having tactile contact with things, we push against the floor, we kick in the water while swimming – all your brain is doing is looking for something it is familiar with but there is nothing there, you have placed yourself in an environment where there is no tactile contact to be had. It is akin to weightlessness and in time your brain will adjust to this new sensation and realize there is nothing to make contact with.

There is a good exercise to help you if you can swim in water:
Have you ever gotten in a pool floating face down and then blow out, slowly emptying your lungs with air and when you begin to loose buoyancy stop exhaling, you begin to gently float down towards the floor of the pool, have you ever done that?
This is a sensation that is a good simulation to freefall, it is a good time to practice your arch and body position and to practice relaxing. Does that make sense?

As to continue with AFF, that is ultimately for you to decide and you can better make this decision with counsel from the instructors that are working with you. Did they give you any indication that you need to revert to alternate methods of training? What did your instructors write in your logbook and what did they tell you during your debrief?
-
Mykel AFF-I10
Skydiving Priorities: 1) Open Canopy. 2) Land Safely. 3) Don’t hurt anyone. 4) Repeat…

Lay on your stomach on the floor and rest your feet on a chair or couch. Practice applying different levels of pressure on the chair with your toes. Alternate this with touching your toes together. (which you can also do in freefall)

That will cost you a lot less than tunnel time and is what Instructors used to teach during AFF. It worked for me and others. No tunnel needed.

I do think that the tunnel is a great learning tool but some things can be accomplished without it. :S

So far, this is the oldest I've ever been.

maybe I'll go try this at the pool at the gym, they'll probably think I'm crazy, but it sounds like a really good idea, and it hasn't been suggested to me. I've been looking for a way to simulate freefall...thank you! I'm excited for when I progress and I get to do flips, I used to be a champion with it when I was a kid at the pool!

My IAD instructor had actually suggested AFF for the feet issue. I was nervous about jumping out of a new plane, so maybe that had something to do with it, and that was my first solo freefall for that long. I know it will all come in due time, and I'll be patient, but I'd like to be less poor if possible!! Both instructors have told me that it will come eventually, that like you said, its a new sensation to me.

My jump on Sunday was the closest to neutral that I've been, I didn't kick on the exit, and I didn't kick in freefall, but I backslid since my feet were on my butt. I wish I could have recreated that calmness last night!

At the DZ where I work we have dive flows and freefall maneuvers that are specifically designed to assist with leg and feet awareness but I cannot advise you on anything like that simply because the instructors working with you undoubtedly have techniques they already incorporate.

Many skydivers want to advise on what to do in freefall which is undermining the expertise the instructors who are working directly with you utilize in their DZ’s curriculum. If they want you to use a specific freefall maneuver they will advise you, if they are not making a big deal about it, then it is probably nothing to worry about.
I know that if I had a student utilize freefall techniques they read about online that was not a part of our pre-dive training (plan the dive, dive the plan) it would just make my job harder and waste precious moments of freefall time that the student is paying for.
General exercises like the pool or the floor can be things we suggest that you try, but when it comes to freefall, trust your instructors, they know what they are doing.

About being nervous about a different airplane – you are being counterproductive to yourself. Freefall is expensive and if you do anything to create mental blocks for yourself it is just taking money out of your own pocket.
In advance of boarding, clear yourself of any mental blocks – it does not matter what kind of airplane you exit from, altitude is altitude and the whole idea is to jump right?
So do yourself a favor, it is like your brain is congress, but you are the president and you can veto any counterproductive measures your congress makes with determination.

Convince yourself that you will get into the door relaxed, you will check in and exit relaxed and that you will perform in freefall with a relaxed attitude – it is time for you to take control of yourself and relax and have fun. That is what it is all about right?
-
Mykel AFF-I10
Skydiving Priorities: 1) Open Canopy. 2) Land Safely. 3) Don’t hurt anyone. 4) Repeat…

Nervous is the wrong word, more anxious? I wasn't sure what the winds would feel like, and I just figured out the way to get over the whole door thing...if that makes any sense. I was a little excited for this jump too, I need to work more on my relaxation techniques, but I know that will come in time too.

I'm definitely not looking for advice in the air, I understand where you are coming from with that, and I do trust my instructors. I know its a time thing, I just wasn't sure if I should stick with AFF or go back to IAD.

If you had been around the DZ for the past 2 weeks you would see that I've been counterproductive all around...BUT that was then and this is now. I'm so excited to be back where I was mentally that I just want to nail this. Your pool suggestion is awesome because its something I can do while I'm away from the DZ.

I did have fun on my last jump BTW, despite the argument I had with my legs below the knees, and I had a SWEEEEET canopy ride as usual. :)