baseknut

1st downsize from student canopy?

Unless you can "demo" that 170 for another 175 jumps you should reconsider your plan to buy a 150.

Its your legs, but there are other people in the sky flying with you as well. I personally would be less keen on being under canopy with some one under 100 jumps flying a 150 at 1.4 up there with me.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

I did my first 15 jumps on a Manta 230 - WL .9, then I rented a Sabre 2 210 - WL 1.0 for 3 jumps - meanwhile I had found a stellar deal on an entire rig, minus AAD for $900 - Vector 2 with a Safire 189 - WL 1.1 with a PD Reserve 193. My instructors and the S&TA felt confident I could handle it at that point.

I have made 5 jumps so far on the Safire 189 and I can tell you it is a whole lot faster and more fun than the Manta I had been jumping.

I have been practicing a lot of the things that Brian Germain has written here http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/safety/detail_page.cgi?ID=536 as well in his book "The Parachute and it's Pilot" up high and so far I have been able to land every jump standing up.

I personally think that any canopy progression is a combination of size, wing loading, and more importantly whether you can save your ass when things go to hell before attempting a new canopy style or size.

My next step is to attend a canopy control course to begin really learning the flight characteristics of my canopy and I will not downsize until I can really wring out the performance of what I've got.

You should look at your wing loading not canopy size. I currently jump an alpha 165 but I only wing load it at .8.

Take a canopy course. Don't downsize until you can fly your canopy. If you can't land what you have downwind without getting hurt then you are not ready to downsize.

Look up Scott Miller's course on the Freedom of Flight website. It will save your life.