shibbayshib

Jump with a tandem?

JP,

Does strong and or rws (ups?) also require 500 relative work jumps to become a tandem master, or just 500 jumps.

I am just curious, although it doesn't really have much bearing on me. I will have the number of jumps long before I have my three years in the sport. Not that I am chomping at the bit to get the rating any way. :P

"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

i remember something from strong about 100 jumps but i don't remember - but i didn't go by jump #'s i went by how well they flew - 50 or 5000 jumps don't mean nothing how the person is in freefall is - i had a guy with 700 jumps land on me at 6000 feet not pretty - jump before and be waiting - your time will come and you will know it when you are ready

I believe the RWS requirement is 500 jumpa on ram air parachutes....

Here we are....

SIGMATANDEMSYSTEMOWNER’SMANUAL
Page2:X Section 1: The Sigma Tandem Systm • Chapter 2 - Applicant Information 11301- 00.00.0000
APPLICANT QUALIFICATIONS
Before an applicant may attend a tandem certification, the following criteria must be met:
1) Currently possess, or at one time been issued, a USPA Coach, a USPA static-line instructor, or USPA AFF jumpmaster
or instructor rating. (Or the foreign equivalent)
2) Have logged at least 500 ram-air jumps.
3) Hold a current FAA Class I, II or III medical certificate. (Or foreign equivalent)
4) Hold a current USPA D license. (Or foreign equivalent)
5) Be at least 18 years of age.
6) Three years in sport.

----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Wow, thanks for all the feedback. When I made the post I was in no way saying that I was going to try it now, I just wanted to know the rule so I could tell them. I realize that I have much to learn about everything and wouldn't want to jeopardize lives to geek my friend in freefall.

So by the time I could lurk their tandem, I could just as well go through the Tandem Instructor course and be their instructor. Thanks guys.

Watch out for the big banana.

Wow, thanks for all the feedback. When I made the post I was in no way saying that I was going to try it now, I just wanted to know the rule so I could tell them. I realize that I have much to learn about everything and wouldn't want to jeopardize lives to geek my friend in freefall.

So by the time I could lurk their tandem, I could just as well go through the Tandem Instructor course and be their instructor. Thanks guys.

Apparently so! :P

Maybe I am reading you wrong but you seem offended, like we should have known your intentions even though you didn't state them clearly. You asked a question, and you got answers!
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

Apparently so! :P

Maybe I am reading you wrong but you seem offended, like we should have known your intentions even though you didn't state them clearly. You asked a question, and you got answers!

I think you're probably reading it wrong...

I don't read the response that way at all... :P
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

At our DZ, the standard thing to do with someone who wants to be around a tandem passenger, but isn't at all qualified to do RW with the tandem, is to have the solo jumper in the airplane next to the tandem. The solo exists first, with normal freefall separation. So at least they all get the airplane ride together.

The other thing we've tried, and this seemed to be enjoyed by the friends, is to have the solo exit after the tandem (again with proper freefall separation) and pull high just like a tandem. Then the solo can fly over to the tandem under canopy. So the friends get some time "together" in the airplane and under canopy, although not in freefall.

Still, as a tandem instructor I'd want to be pretty sure the friend was a heads up and disciplined jumper, before allowing this. Maybe 50 to 100 jumps experience at least??

I am very leary of who I let out of the plane after me when I am doing tandems. Still plenty of ways to try to kill my student. If the person is not qualified to be in freefall with the tandem, I doubt I would let them come anywhere near me under canopy.

Johnny
--"This ain't no book club, we're all gonna die!"
Mike Rome