SuzieBlueSkies

small children and skydiving

Hello,
I haven't jumped in two years and I'm about to make my first jump back today. During those two years I had a little boy who is nine months old now. I know that being nervous is normal for not jumping for so long but i have a feeling that I have so much anxiety over it because i have my son now. I know he will be taken care of while I make my jumps, so its not that. I think its something deeper, maybe there is a reason I feel so nervous about this. Should I be jumping?

With only 37 jumps and none in 2 years... that alone would make most of us a little nervous. If you enjoyed it before you took time, theirs little reason to think that you wont again. Relax and enjoy some YOU time.

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

My boys are 8, 7, 5. I know exactly the feeling your talking about. I am new to the sport and that feeling is starting to fade away the more jumps I make. It's the risk vs. reward. I know there is risk in this sport, but I also know that I could be taken from this earth in many ways other than skydiving. I think that I came to terms with " when it's my time to go, it's my time to go"..... Don't think that your being an irresponsible parent just because you skydive, because your not! Be a more responsible skydiver because your a good parent.(if that made any sense at all:D)

See ya in a minute. Peace out!

Don't think that your being an irresponsible parent just because you skydive, because your not! Be a more responsible skydiver because your a good parent.

That is VERY PROFOUND; a quote that I will never forget, and one that I will certainly live by when I have kids

Wow, words can be so powerful...
Dialogue/commentary between Divot, Twardo & myself -

"from your first Oshkosh when the three of us were riding to or from one of

You have to be honest with yourself. If you are not comfprtable, why would you force it? I took a couple of years off after the birth of my son. Only to help with taking care of him. But, I stayed in touch with my friends and I came back. I have known people who met through skydiving, got married, had great times skydiving and then stopped after having children. They can not live with the possibility of their child losing them. But, I would rather lose my life with my son knowing that I lived it, rather than shuddering behind a weak veil of safety. And, I belive in ths because I never want my children to live their lives rather than just falling in line with the other Corporate lambs to the slaughter.
Live your life whether it means skydiving or not. Make the choice that is best for you and your family.

Should I be jumping?

Only you can answer that for you.

A little about me. I'm a father of three, 11, 9 and 7. I started jumping on the 20th anny of my own fathers death in a truck accident when I was a boy. I don't have a death wish and I think knowing that I have a family makes me focus on being a safer skydiver. The choice for me though was simple. Skydiving is and has become a part of who I am.

When my times comes it will come. Be it driving down a road somewhere, asleep in bed or skydiving. I'm ok with that. Until such time I'm going to try and live life for all it's worth.

Get back in the saddle and give it a go. See how you feel afterward. You may find that love again or you may decide it's better to sit out a while longer, but at the end of the day it's your decision.

Good luck!!

BK

I started jumping to relieve stress when my ex left me with three children 7, 14, and 16. I have been all they have for seven years and I have battled with the thought of my responsibilities to them. I am a great father; I cook every day, clean house, pay bills, cover college expenses, buy cars, etc. My youngest son will be turning 15 next month. He has spent every weekend at the DZ with me for the past seven years. Now, he is a drop zone kid with 4,000 pack jobs, several trips to the wind tunnel, airplane time, and a lot of skydiving knowledge. He can’t wait to jump. For him, the airport has been wonderful and my fellow jumpers have become part of his family. While my other two children have done several tandems, they do not want to jump regularly, but enjoy the stress relief I get from skydiving. You have a tough decision, but for me, my awesome responsibilities have made me a conservative, careful, and respectful skydiver. Furthermore, because of the balance and harmony that skydiving brings to my life, my family has become closer and more successful.