MakeItHappen

USPA Executive Director opening

USPA Executive Director

On or about November 1, 2007, the position of USPA executive director will be open. The executive director is the chief staff executive of the association responsible for directing the Headquarters staff and carrying out the policies and programs of the Board of Directors. Specific duties are outlined in Section 1-2.6 of the USPA Governance Manual. The place of employment is Fredericksburg, Virginia. Interested persons should send cover letter and resume to USPA, Attention: Search, 5401 Southpoint Centre Blvd, Fredericksburg, VA 22407or [email protected] no later than October 1, 2007.

This announcement is on the USPA web site, but will not appear in Parachutist or SNM until the Sept issue.

Please forward to interested parties.

Make It Happen
Parachute History
DiveMaker

How much does it pay: $$$, benefits, annual allowance of free jumps at USPA DZs?

Please reply in full confidentiality to dropzone.com..

USPA Executive Director

On or about November 1, 2007, the position of USPA executive director will be open. The executive director is the chief staff executive of the association responsible for directing the Headquarters staff and carrying out the policies and programs of the Board of Directors. Specific duties are outlined in Section 1-2.6 of the USPA Governance Manual. The place of employment is Fredericksburg, Virginia. Interested persons should send cover letter and resume to USPA, Attention: Search, 5401 Southpoint Centre Blvd, Fredericksburg, VA 22407or [email protected] no later than October 1, 2007.

This announcement is on the USPA web site, but will not appear in Parachutist or SNM until the Sept issue.

Please forward to interested parties.

I’m not sure what the pay is, but my guess is that it’s an open record. I do understand that having been an Army Golden Night is a requirement, if not written, then unwritten. I’m sure Glen, and Chris already have the next Night lined up.
Experience is what you get when you thought you were going to get something else.

AC DZ

Hmmm what about the rules pertaining to advertising in the forums?

This is a pretty exceptional case. This isn't just another tandem/camera/pilot job (no disrepect to tandem/camera/pilots - I are one!) but a very influential role with regards to skydiving around the world. Consider it an announcement that Chris is standing down, or maybe a discussion about the role and it's requirements and benefits...
Skydiving Fatalities - Cease not to learn 'til thou cease to live

I do understand that having been an Army Golden Night is a requirement, if not written, then unwritten.

That is a shame to hear if true because that means we may not be getting the best person for the position.
Time and pressure will always show you who a person really is!

I’m not sure what the pay is, but my guess is that it’s an open record. I do understand that having been an Army Golden Night is a requirement, if not written, then unwritten. I’m sure Glen, and Chris already have the next Night lined up.

Chris Needels is the only USPA Executive Director to have been a Golden Knight, it's not a requirement.
When Jerry Roulard was hired as Executive Director Chris Needels had also applied for the job and didn't get it.

Just trying to keep it real.
I Jumped with the guys who invented Skydiving.

I do understand that having been an Army Golden Night is a requirement, if not written, then unwritten.

That is a shame to hear if true because that means we may not be getting the best person for the position.

he, he....
the wonder of the internet...

a facetious comment taken as 'real'....

I always heard a Golden Night was different from a Golden Knight. Don't know what version Martin really meant.....

Make It Happen
Parachute History
DiveMaker

what does the president do?

Chris Needles is the Executive Director. Glen Bangs is the President. 2 different postions. One is hired one is elected.

judy

In theory anyway......

Jan if that's how it's done in theory please tell us how it's done in reality. New people like myself are interested (not in the job but how the hiring occurs).

Thanks

"You start off your skydiving career with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience up before your bag of luck runs out."

Chris Needels is the only USPA Executive Director to have been a Golden Knight, it's not a requirement.
When Jerry Roulard was hired as Executive Director Chris Needels had also applied for the job and didn't get it.

How about one requirement:

Anybody that has worked for, or operated a DZ owned by Ben Butler and Cary Quattrochi, or being involved with Skyride, Thrill Planet, etc... are automatically disqualified from consideration for the position.

That would be a good start. :|

Edited to add: Some good people that have worked for them in the past and have since renounced and regretted doing so, and are actively against them, could be considered....
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Billy,

THAT IS SO LAME! SO YOU!

Obv. Ben and Cary know how to make a dime off of skydiving and keep everybody happy. Including up-jumpers who pack in an A/C, clean environment. And instructors, who get to confidently jump up-to-date equipment.

Please compare w/ your favorite dz. Maybe ASC/Skyride affiliation should be a prerequisite?

P.S.: Just for the record: I don't know Ben or Cary from squat. But I have worked at their dzs on occasion; it's been professional! (I have never been desperate enough to depend on skydiving for a living).

How about one requirement:

Anybody that has worked for, or operated a DZ owned by Ben Butler and Cary Quattrochi, or being involved with Skyride, Thrill Planet, etc... are automatically disqualified from consideration for the position.

That would be a good start. :|

Edited to add: Some good people that have worked for them in the past and have since renounced and regretted doing so, and are actively against them, could be considered....

First of all that's "Golden Knight", not "Golden Night". Secondly - Why do you think that? The previous one wasn't and I don't think the one before that was either.

When you consider the connotation of “Golden Night”, it’s actually kind of funny. Anyone know, is a golden shower is required before one can be a Golden Night?

Anyway, as I understand how things have worked for the last few years, the relationship between ED, and the President of the Board of Directors has been a bit too tight. Both are former Golden Knight’s (for whatever that’s worth), and I’ve heard the opinion of a regional director that the President has been given a free hand to run things however he sees fit (hearsay). Oh, you say “So what, Seems he’s been doing a fine job.” The problem if this is the case is that you’re voice as a member through your representation (Regional and National Directors) is not worth a warm bucket of spit! When the BOD has virtually zero control over how “your organization” is being run, then the BOD is also worth just a touch more than the same bucket of spit.

I’ve heard opinion that the President of the BOD is not a highly desired position, and that Glen has been handed it by the BOD because nobody else wants to put the time into the position that it requires.

There ya have it, a long line of hearsay.

Feel free to pick at any grammatical, spelling errors, and type-Os.

Poor spellers of the world UNTIE!
Martin

Edit to add spelling and grammatical errors.
Experience is what you get when you thought you were going to get something else.

AC DZ

Its a crying shame. That people can not live longer, to continue good work. Its too bad that everyone has to retire sometime. Hopefully, the person that steps into his shoes,,, is half what he was.
Its a good day to LIVE, why puck up a good thing.

There is no reply in aad section for. " hell no i would not put an AAD on my back"

Its obvious that you support Ben and Cary's illegal activities, therefore you have no chance in hell of getting the USPA Executive Director opening. Enough said.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Ed I don't know if Jan is still monitoring this thread. I'm still waiting for a response to my question posted earlier.

Jan are you out there?

"You start off your skydiving career with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience up before your bag of luck runs out."

Ed I don't know if Jan is still monitoring this thread. I'm still waiting for a response to my question posted earlier.

Jan are you out there?

yup.

To answer your question about the hiring process - I am not sure what it is.
The FULL BOD selects the ED. This part I know for sure and it is in the Gov. Man.

At first the application deadline was Sept 1. That would have meant the vacancy would not have appeared in any mag.
Another director called foul and got HQ to change the deadline to Oct 1. He also asked me to spread the word electronically.
The announcement will appear in the Sept issue of Parachutist and SNM.

From now until Oct 1 applications will be accepted.
Apparently, HQ does not inform the FB of applications it has received.
I know of one application already (that was submitted last week), but found that out from another BOD member.

At sometime there should be an interview (one would think anyway). I do not know who does the interview.
We may have a conference call for all I know.

Since this position is expected to be filled by Nov 1, there will probably be some interim FB voting on it. However, the current ED has said he'll stay on if more time is needed to fill the position.

Quite frankly, I do not know how an applicant would make themselves known to BOD members unless they took it upon themselves to contact each BOD member directly. An applicant should not depend on HQ to promote them to the FB.

As for Ed's Q about who should it be...
I am not going to publicly say who I think will be a good ED.
I know of a very good person for this job.
I can think of about 5 people that might apply.

I am hoping that publicizing this vacancy may bring a few more people forward.

Make It Happen
Parachute History
DiveMaker

See Jan this is what I don't understand. How are things so darn unorganized.

If someone sends in an application to HQ then wouldn't the current ED give it to someone on the BOD to share with others?

So as I understand (please correct me if I'm wrong)

The BOD is elected by voting members of the USPA. The BOD hires the ED, the ED oversees HQ (holy shit if we get anymore acronyms I'll be SOL with keeping up). At anytime the BOD can elect to remove the ED and replace said person with a new one. Do I have that about correct?

Someone asked how much the ED made. Check out a previous post of mine here.

It looks to be around $100K.

they are not just unorganized buddy, they are corrupt

certain people are trying to ramrod in a ED that will carry out the interests of a few

many BOD types are good people but a few are enemys of USPA members

If someone sends in an application to HQ then wouldn't the current ED give it to someone on the BOD to share with others?

You would think that was the way it should work.

The BOD is elected by voting members of the USPA. The BOD hires the ED, the ED oversees HQ (holy shit if we get anymore acronyms I'll be SOL with keeping up). At anytime the BOD can elect to remove the ED and replace said person with a new one. Do I have that about correct?

correct

Someone asked how much the ED made. Check out a previous post of mine here.

It looks to be around $100K.

You can find out how much the ED makes by requesting the 990 tax form from 2006 from HQ.
USPA is required by IRS tax laws to provide that tax form to anyone that asks for it for a nominal fee.
See the IRS web site for details.

Make It Happen
Parachute History
DiveMaker