SarahRancurello

Weather Help

Hello there! I'm new to the site. I'm not a skydiver myself, but my fiance is very interested in it. He's been on one tandem jump so far and is hooked. I am planning on setting him up for the accelerated free fall program at Skydive Wayne County Inc in Indiana for his birthday. The problem is his birthday is Oct 14, and in the tri-state area, weather in October can be tricky to predict. I was wondering if anyone has jumped around the same time of year in the same area, and what kind of luck did you have with the weather? I am thinking I might plan to do it a little earlier, just to be safe, but it would be nice to do it on his birthday.
Thanks a lot for your help!
Sarah

Fall weather can be questionable in most of the northeastern united states...

Having said that we had a number of great weekends for jumping last year at Skydive Greene County in Ohio last October... (though a few of the weekends were a bit blustery... 20 mph winds gusting to 35mph... :o)

Scott

Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

Hey!

That's awesome that you're getting him involved in AFF....I wish there were more women like yourself...at least ones that I could find who are cool with the sport :P

Anyways, I used to jump in Michigan during september and october. My best advice is to just watch the weather and try to plan it for a weekend when it will be decent. It will be a little brisk/chilly at that time too. Otherwise, the First Jump Course (FJC) will usually happen regardless of rain or shine and if it is raining, they'll just reschedule his first jump to another day.

I think it might not be a bad idea to plan it earlier though. I know in Michigan, the season ends on Nov. 1st or around that point because it starts to get cold and the only way you can continue to jump during the winter is if you have a license. You should also check with Skydive Wayne County on their policies. Also unless he's gonna be an AFF all-star and will ge through his AFF before the season's out, he'll have to wait until the season re-opens to continue his AFF if he doesn't finish.

So yeah, plan it earlier if you can. Hope that wasn't too confusing...Good luck!

Puttin' some stank on it.

----Hellfish #707----

Im guessing it the same in america where if you dont skydive for a certain period then you have to retake a level or 2..so if it is closed for winter that could be a problem...as i said hough thats only a guess if someone could clarify that.

Get it for him as an early birthday present in August or September. If he doesn't get started until the beginning of October he would most likely have to wait until spring to finish. At that point he'd need to take a refresher course and repeat the last AFF level he completed in the fall.

Thanks for all the help everyone!

I guess I never really found out exactly how the AFF program works...I assumed you did the training and the jump all in one day, but as I am looking into this more, I think that may not be the case. How exactly does the program work? I don't know if it's different for different places...

Thanks again!

As long as the weathers nice you most likely will do all your training then do your level one jump. If its not nice you can come back when it is and do your first one. The problem is to get your A licence you need 25 jumps (after 7 your off "student" status although you kinda still are one). If you cant get 25 jumps in, which would be sort of unlikely if you start in october, then in the spring you may have to repeat some work you have already done. This varys between dropzones so it might be best to ask them on refresher information. So I have a question for you...If your man is going to do it...why dont you do it with him??!!!
BASE 1384

Thanks!

I'm not really worried about him getting his license this year. He's just really wanted to jump again (he's been on one tandem) and he doesn't want to do tandem again.

As far as me jumping....I don't think I can handle it! I'd probably pass out after we left the plane...
Plus there's always the money issue.