Lawdog1

Most rentals for newbies

Our DZ rentals are $10 a jump, new Infinity rigs with Vigils. Come jump at our place.:)

that's a really good deal!
When I started to rent.... the DZ was charging me $35.00 per jump or $70.00 or $80.00 per day!:S

it took me a while to get a rig for myself b/c I could not find anything that would fit me... unfortunately I spent way too much renting stuff[:/]
http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org
PMS#551
I love my life :)

As for the original question - these recent rentals are the only ones I've made. I used student gear (rental included in the price of all the jumps) before I got my A and had my rig pieced together before I was licensed. Most places aren't nearly as cheap as the $10 rentals and doing the math makes you realize pretty quickly that even if you have to finance the gear at a reasonable rate, you're STILL better off buying.

When I came back four years ago I rented for most of the first year, while looking around. Found a beautiful used rig, complete for $3 grand and put it on my US Plastic. I'm 6'4" and 225 lbs, so a big guy rig for somebody like me was hard to come by - and when it did, I snapped it up in a hurry.

If you charge your plastic, you can always throw a lot of cash at it and get it paid off quickly (yeah right...or else you can run it up some more on jump tickets...). But it's important to have your own rig.

Having your own rig takes the guesswork out of what you'll be jumping from one day to the next. You'll know what you've got, it will fit you (it should anyway, before you pay for it). You'll know who packed your reserve and when it's due for a repack. And you'll get to know your main canopy. Being able to consistently jump the same canopy will help you develop your skills so much more easily.

And another thing - save money and develop a RELATIONSHIP with your rig by doing your own packing ! Nothing will keep you closer or more in tune with your gear than packing it yourself every time. It's a huge confidence builder as well. And find a rigger who you develop a relationship with. Not just any loft that will repack your reserve on schedule, but a rigger who will tell you what they found and where your rig needs work. Never forget that your rig saves your life every single time you use it. Owning a rig puts the responsibility and the control squarely in your lap - where it belongs.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

I put a sweet used voodoo straight on my ccard before i had 20 jumps. I'm on 38 now but haven't used it yet as its a 150 but will be using it soon. Been using a friends odyssey since 30 jumps. So total of 29 rentals for me.

I spent about US$3200 on the rig and the repayments work out cheaper than rental for me, and i get to use my own gear, with the peace of mind that it's FFfriendly.

I'm pretty lucky that i've gone from our DZs old rental gear straight to sweet gear without doing the old gear stepping stone thing.

It was just a case of patience and scouring the dz.com classifieds waiting for a bargain :)

I started a little late and only got 28 jumps in my first season.

Over the winter I had pieced together a great complete rig, for a great price:

Javelin J-1: $500
Triathlon: $500
PD143R: $400
Vigil: $1000

It's all about waiting for the right gear to pop up on the classifieds, and the winter (if you have a winter season) is great for this, because you've got 4 months to browse and decide what you want.