Skylark

Life Insurance?

Friend doing AFF next week in Empuria. What's the cheapest insurance he can get? He doesn't need a whole year BPA membership...any thoughts and ideas most welcome.

Life insurance is something that pays out when you die, so I'm hoping that's not your friends goal in AFF! :S

Are you looking for coverage for injuries and medical treatment, etc - that would probably be a travel health policy. I have heard that some insurers/countries though, these specifically exclude injuries due to participation in extreme sports, so you may want to check the fine print before just taking the cheapest available policy.

Alternatively, are you wondering about third-party or public liability coverage? That's the kind of insurance that normally comes with a parachute association membership like CSPA, USPA, APF and I would assume, BPA. Most places I've been, your fees for an AFF course also include some kind of student membership for the duration of the course and liability coverage, although, I'm not sure of the details in Empuriabrava.

I recommend using the "Search Posts" function in the toolbar at the top of the forum window. A quick search revealed the following valuable discussions:

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?do=search_results&search_forum=all&search_string=life+insurance&search_type=AND&search_fields=sb&search_time=&search_user_username=&sb=score&mh=50
Arrive Safely

John

He'll have to get membership of something, whether it is BPA, USPA or the Spanish equivalent. Only one of these will then allow him to jump in the UK on his return...

As for travel insurance, which would be a wise idea, he should make sure that he has a European Health Insurance Card (replacement for E111) and ideally something which gives him 3rd party cover too. I went with etravelinsure who are pretty cheap and cover skydiving in some detail.

HTH :)

Not one shred of evidence supports the theory that life is serious - look at the platypus.

Skydiving, Parachuting, Paragliding
Skydiving and other aerial sports are classified in our High Risk activities category, which provides Medical Emergency and Repatriation cover - as per Schedule (A) of the Policy - for an accident or illness caused by participating in these activities whilst on a trip abroad.

There is no extra charge for this, and it is automatically included with the travel insurance, however, as for all High Risk activities the excess (which is the first part of any claim that you pay) is £500 rather than the normal £80 excess for Schedule (A). See our Schedule of Activities for more details, via the sports & activities link on the menu.

Interesting coverage and very reasonable. 500lb decuctible converts to a little over $1000 US and your covered for 30 days worldwide for 50lb which is about $100 US.
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

Where are you qouting this from??

Skydiving, Parachuting, Paragliding
Skydiving and other aerial sports are classified in our High Risk activities category, which provides Medical Emergency and Repatriation cover - as per Schedule (A) of the Policy - for an accident or illness caused by participating in these activities whilst on a trip abroad.

There is no extra charge for this, and it is automatically included with the travel insurance, however, as for all High Risk activities the excess (which is the first part of any claim that you pay) is £500 rather than the normal £80 excess for Schedule (A). See our Schedule of Activities for more details, via the sports & activities link on the menu.

Interesting coverage and very reasonable. 500lb decuctible converts to a little over $1000 US and your covered for 30 days worldwide for 50lb which is about $100 US.

you mean death insurance

they never pay unless you die - promise

No. Life insurance.

I really wish that my home contents policy would pay out whenever I got home contents or my car insurance would pay out when I get a car, but unfortunately they only pay out if they're lost or damaged somehow. [Wink]