sraja

Question on 2007 Incidents

Anyone tally the incidents yet? Within US and outside US? Fatal / Non-fatal? Just curious since 2006 was projected to be a record year with very low number of incidents at least within the US. I wonder if airplane crashes will skew the number significantly this year - or will they be excluded from the list? I would presume that incidents of airplane crashes need to be excluded unless the airplane was on a skydiving run.

On the other hand - should we count any active USPA members whom we have lost (plane crash or otherwise) in the incident tally?

I would presume that incidents of airplane crashes need to be excluded unless the airplane was on a skydiving run.

Airplane crashes carrying skydivers are not recorded as a skydiving incident.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

The year is not over yet, and there is still jumping to be done. But hopefully no more incidents. Parachutist runs an issue (maybe in March??) that gives a break down of the incidents from the past year.

I don't think airplane crashes count as skydiving accidents...they fall under GA incidents, not skydiving. Unless of course the aircraft accident was a mid-air with a skydiver. :S:| I think even if the aircraft WAS on a skydiving run, it still counts as an airplane crash, not a skydiving incident.

A separate tally could probably be done that does include plane crash victims. [:/]

Enemiga Rodriguez, PMS #369, OrFun #25, Team Dirty Sanchez #116, Pelt Head #29, Muff #4091

On the other hand - should we count any active USPA members whom we have lost (plane crash or otherwise) in the incident tally?

That wouldn't make a whole lot of sense.

If a skydiver burns in do they count that in the annual traffic fatalities just because he had a driver license?
__

My mighty steed

There have been 18 fatal jumps so far this year in the US.

If nobody does anything stupid for the next few days we could actually see an all time low since 1962.

If you count plane crashes in 2007 the numbers are not so good.

18?

I only see 13 (http://www.dropzone.com/fatalities/2007/North_America/index.shtml) two of which appear to medical (stroke and heart attack).

Actually the count is 19 but one was considered to be a medical related death after jumping so that is still under investigation....

At least 15 skydivers that I know of died in plane crashes in jump planes. (5 in Montana, 10 in Wahington)

34 dead skydivers not including the others we lost from other causes.:(

Lets be careful out there!

Edit to ad not all fatalities are reported to DZ.com

I would presume that incidents of airplane crashes need to be excluded unless the airplane was on a skydiving run.

Airplane crashes carrying skydivers are not recorded as a skydiving incident.

Surely that should depend on whether the crash was directly related to skydiving (such as a premature deployed canopy taking the tail off a plane) or incidental (such as on a ferry flight)?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

My answer was based primarily the incidental. I know of one crash where the plane was taking off for skydiving operations and the plane crashed on takeoff seriously injuring one skydiver... While I did the Incident Report and submitted it; the injured skydiver was not listed in Non-Fatal Incidents and the reason was - it was an A/C accident.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

My answer was based primarily the incidental. I know of one crash where the plane was taking off for skydiving operations and the plane crashed on takeoff seriously injuring one skydiver... While I did the Incident Report and submitted it; the injured skydiver was not listed in Non-Fatal Incidents and the reason was - it was an A/C accident.

Hi Bigun

The reason or the excuse.;)

No reason to collect data on issues that may come back to bite you later.

Do you know what the FAA investigation report of the incident looked like:)

Thanks for the info

Thats the problem with stats sometimes they don't tell the whole story.

How many skydiving injuries /yr in US?? No data:|

Anyone know if other countries national skydiving association keep stats injuries, or how what they consider a skydiving fatality. (Airplane crash)

I can uderstand not including the caravan incident since it was a ferry flight. But the Acft accident before that could have been classified by USPA (at least) differently.

We're finding out a lot of info thanks to DZ.com and diverdriver.

Have a safe year lets all be careful out there.:)

One Jump Wonder