johndh1

Hughes 269

If he doesn't have a lot of time you may want him to talk to pilots who have dropped jumpers. Even in a heavier airframe the jumpers leaving and how they leave can cause issues.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Definitely going to do that. He's been flying helicopters for several years now, but this will definitely be different from what he is used to (mostly law-enforcement).
I just wasn't sure it was even worth pursuing in this particular model.
He said if I check into it he'll do it.
Roll Tide Roll

Definitely going to do that. He's been flying helicopters for several years now, but this will definitely be different from what he is used to (mostly law-enforcement).
I just wasn't sure it was even worth pursuing in this particular model.
He said if I check into it he'll do it.

How many jumpers can get into it? I'm guessing from the details, it's a two seater?
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I have a couple of hours of riding around time in a friend's 269. It is one cool little chopper. I would think that if your buddy is willing to deal with the weight change upon exit, it would be fun for both of you. I imagine he will see somewhat of a jump and skitter when you leave, but nothing that would be uncontrollable, more like air turbulence. B|

Just burning a hole in the sky.....

Buddy of mine from flight school had access to one and let me jump it.No problem with the jump(he had never flown a jumper before).Just kept it above ETL and there were no issues.Just drop off,not push off.It will rock a little,but nothing drastic.
Replying to: Re: Stall On Jump Run Emergency Procedure? by billvon

If the plane is unrecoverable then exiting is a very very good idea.

Many smaller, piston-engined helicopters Bell 47, Brantly, Enstrom, Hughes 300, Robinson, etc.)are primarily flown as trainers, so have complete sets of controls on both sides.
I would be asking which set of controls is easiest to remove, because the last thing I want to do is kick a control stick on my way out the door!!!!!!

Many smaller, piston-engined helicopters Bell 47, Brantly, Enstrom, Hughes 300, Robinson, etc.)are primarily flown as trainers, so have complete sets of controls on both sides.
I would be asking which set of controls is easiest to remove, because the last thing I want to do is kick a control stick on my way out the door!!!!!!

I was thinking about that last night. I'd hate to kick something only to make the helicopter dip the rotors down to my side and clip my head off as I fell out! B|
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

jumping that aircraft should not be a problem. YOU need to be vary careful exiting. just fall away don't push/jump.
with a piston engine and your weight i would keep etl. with the rotor wash you can't tell the difference anyway and the weight change will be easier to control and less noticable.

as for left or right seat it varies with different aircraft. hughes/md set up for left seat PIC.
some can only be solo from right seat due to weight/balance and control input limts(robinson). other are set up for whatever side the customer orders. many utility aircraft used for external load are set up for left seat. its easier to lean over instead of away from the collective.