jcbfly

Rent a bigger plane for the weekend?

Sometime next season, our 2 Cessna skydiving club wants to bring a larger aircraft to our small DZ for a weekend boogie. As the club's newbie "event organizer" I'm trying to learn how to accomplish this. I'm looking for something bigger than a 182, but smaller than a Twin Otter. Maybe a PAC 750, Caravan, Porter...?

I will say in advance, I have never done this before...

I would call the DZs that have the larger planes to see if they are rentable for a weekend boogie.

The bigger DZs with multiple turbo-props are your best bet as they would be more likely to let one go.

Happy hunting.

Best,
Dru
-
-
"Baseball is 90% mental. The other half is physical."

From where you are located according to your profile, (New Mexico) I would think Skydive AZ or Skydive Spaceland would be your best bets. Both lease planes out and they would be the closest (lower ferry fees?) AZ has otters, skyvans, a king air, they used to have a porter, don't know about that one anymore. Spaceland has otters and a caravan. I would start there if i were you.:)

Never look down on someone, unless they are going down on you.

they used to have a porter, don't know about that one anymore

The new porter had its wings installed over the boogie, and was scheduled to be flying by the end of January, or so I am told.... But it will be VERY busy flying Airspeed for training for the world's...
Remster

From where you are located according to your profile, (New Mexico) I would think Skydive AZ or Skydive Spaceland would be your best bets. Both lease planes out and they would be the closest (lower ferry fees?) AZ has otters, skyvans, a king air, they used to have a porter, don't know about that one anymore. Spaceland has otters and a caravan. I would start there if i were you.:)

What he said. Best bet.

Don't forget to factor in the ferry fees. You will probably need to charge a boogie registration fee to upjumpers to cover that, and pray for good weather!
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Ya know, I hate to rain on your parade, but I cannot tell you how many times I've seen small (Cessna operation) DZs try to bring a turbine in for some special weekend event or even for a short period of time, say a week, over some big holiday period and get absolutely screwed on ferry fees & the weather Gods not cooperating. For instance... I saw the pilot of one of these planes leave with the DZOs rig as "collateral" until he got paid his real money because the "special event" / "guest airplane" didn't generate enough $$$ to pay him before he and the airplane had to go. :S

I realize you're in information gathering mode... but rather than just listening to us smucks around here... I'd suggest you find some smaller DZs that DO REALLY bring in a turbine for some event or what-not and pick their brains for some real information on what works and what doesn't.

Lots of things to consider. How far are the planes going to have to travel to get there? How many people do you think you can draw from the surrounding area? Can you expect support of jumpers from other DZs? Can the club afford the loss if the event is a bust?

Call Mullins... he's very reasonable and a great asset to have at any boogie.

I agree, and he has 15 minute turn-arounds on his loads, provided that you have enough jumpers to keep it running non-stop between refuels, say about 60-80 jumpers. :)
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban