northcave

Taking your kit abroad

I know this is a repeat thread but i thought i'd revisit it.

I'm going abroad to jump in France from the UK soon. What should i be aware of?

Is it best to pack the rig as main hold luggage than hand luggage?

Does it need to be declared properly?

Are there extra charges etc?

When flying in Europe or within the US, I usually take my rig with me and check the rest in. When going thru security, I remove my rig from its bag so they can see what it is. I never had any major delays doing so, even with the AAD. Make sure you remove the hook knife if it is on your container like mine.

If you jump in France, and if you have a low number of jumps, you should check with the DZ: ask them what they will ask you to jump there, can you jump with other people.... Last time I checked, you need a certain number of jumps (50min I think) before you can jump with others. The AAD is mandatory and the size of the canopy is also regulated (function of experience, current or not...). If you have a chance to jump in Gap, it's really nice (between mountains), but watch out for landing because of the higher altitude.

Hope this helps.
Laurent - www.RhythmSkydiving.com

I've always carried mine on as hand luggage (Easy Jet, Rynair & Vueling) and have never had a problem yet.
I used to carry it on un-bagged but now put it in a rucksack which cuts out the stupid questions.
I remove my hook-knife (mostly, but have forgotten it - never got mentioned:o) and carry a CYPRESS x-ray card.

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

I've always checked my rig and haven't had problems .. yet.

One thing to be aware of is the French measure in meters, not feet. And I've heard stories of lunching with wine, then going back to jumping. You may want to pass on the wine until you're done jumping for the day. Then, hit it! They can throw a mean barbecue as well. :)

Johan.
I am. I think.

I go once a month (return) to Madrid from Luton - perhaps 6 times so far (next time is next week, last was 3 weeks ago) - I've seen my rig get "reversed" back into the x-ray machine a few times (it's in a kit bag) but they soon figure out what it is. The only mistakes I've ever made were leaving my allen keys in the same kit bag (for my camera helmet) - they didn't like that, and when questioned once on the return in Madrid:

"Whats this for?"
"Its a parachute. You know for jumping from an airplane. No NO. Not YOUR airplane, AN airplane... Erm..."

It's fine. ;) I'd always take it as carry-on, never in the hold. Not since I saw that documentary on how baggage handlers treat checked baggage...

If you're travelling through Belgium (Ryanair) they had a fit when I tried to carry my rig on. I've done it before throughout europe, on ryanair, but the evil security trolls at Charleroi didn't like it. BUT they let me check my gear at the gate so all ended up well. Except for them taking my wife's makeup because she didn't have a plastic ziploc bag to put it in--grrrrrrr

If you end up at skydive Maubege (nice DZ attracts a ton of Parisians) would love to jump with a native english speaker---not knowing french has made makin' good friends out there a challenge!

-kjarv