popsjumper

Weights VS Fall Rate

Yeah but you still have to carry it when you're on the ground which goes right back to cutting into your shoulders and neck.

I like to put it on at the last possible moment.

When it comes to comfort....... I'm a pussy.
Be the canopy pilot you want that other guy to be.

A weight pocket in the container is even better. The weight is supported by the harness under canopy, not the jumper.

Bob

Unless you swoop over water or land near water, since you cannot cut away lead in your rig... We had people jumping 30+ kg lead (60-70 lbs) when pondswooping a lake, trying to swim with just your rig on can be difficult enough never mind a few dozen pounds of lead, trust me I tried :S

ciel bleu,
Saskia

I started noticing a difference in landing (lightning 126) at about 8 kg of lead which got me close to the needed 1.3 wingload, the lightning was definitly easier to land because of the extra speed, I didn't use my frontrisers on landing yet. Today I jumped 4.5 kg of lead and a borrowed spectre 135, no difference really, it does make a slight difference on a vengeance 120 but maybe that's my imagination ;)
I hardly ever jump the 8 kg (18 lbs) anymore because that's my weightvest + belt and they stack on top of each other making me have to peel my handles away from the lead should I need them, not an ideal situation. Also I got tired lugging all the lead around esp. with the off-field landings LOL

Crashlanding on top of weights is fun too, can leave interesting bruises :S

ciel bleu,
Saskia

I've never flown with weights. So...

To increase fall rate, is there some magic formula to increase fall rate to some specific number?

For example:
If one comfortably averages XXXmph, one puts on YYY amount of weight to increase one's comfortable average to ZZZmph?

Or, is it simply a trial/error endeavor?

I am asking for FS considerations...not swooping.

My secret has always been pizza and beer.:D

OK...here we go again...

Either:
a) My assumption is totally wrong in that when you guys say, "can't tell a difference", you are talking about landing techniques/skill and you are focusing on my comment about that:
"Now. What about landing. I generally understand the dynamics of the effect of additional weight on canopy flight."

b) Your totally missing the point of my question, to wit:
"What I'm asking is the effects of that lead on your body at touchdown. Running-out or sliding in a landing has GOT to put additional forces on your body. Even a tip-toe stand-up will be different with respect to weight hanging around your back or chest.
Maybe there is some technique to help avoid undue pressure on your back/chest at landing? Maybe there is something in particular to avoid when landing with weights - other than the normal things that apply even without weights."

Or am I herding cats or asking a stupid question?
:D:D:D

My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Unless you swoop over water or land near water, since you cannot cut away lead in your rig. ...

Sure, but unless you drop and leave the weight in the water you still can't swim very well with it. Landing in water with any significant amout of lead has always been a concern of mine. I think it's better and easier to carry a floatation device, though dicey all the same.

One of my ideas was to have releasable water ballast. Once under canopy just empty and land without it. I abandoned the idea because of the unnecessarily complicated container modifications, packing issues, etc., and since water is far less denser than lead it would require too much volume and bulk for a given weight.

Bob

b) Your totally missing the point of my question, to wit:
"What I'm asking is the effects of that lead on your body at touchdown. ...

As I said, I jumped 18 lbs at for over a 1.6 wingloading total and never noticed anything. I doubt there would be any noticeably additional stress on the body at the weight range being contemplated, but you may react differently.

Bob

>the effects of that lead on your body at touchdown.

Several effects, I think.

1) You land faster, and thus have more energy to absorb by running it out/sliding (1/2MV^2, and V is higher.)

2) You have more weight onboard, and your legs have to absorb that additional weight (1/2MV^2, and M is higher too.)

3) You are going to be a little off-balance.

Most I ever had to wear was 30lbs for the base of a Roger dive, and that was enough of a difference that I upsized to a Spectre 150 for the duration of the event. I could definitely feel the difference when landing in light winds, both speed and more abuse on my knees when running.

Bill's Bad Idea of the Day (tm) - carry your weight in water in a Camelback on the front/inside of your jumpsuit. Sip it if you get thirsty. After you open, release your brakes etc. open the valve and dump it all. No extra weight on landing, no water landing worries and the shape gives you some additional fallrate.