Gapagos

Advice needed for a 1st time skydiver: SINUS CONGESTION / EAR PAIN

And so if my ears clog during ascent, I should make sure to keep them clogged (avoid yawning or swallowing too much), as it will help them clog less during descent?

If your ears clog on ascent, you prolly shouldn't be jumping.

But, let me explain. Air expands during ascent. Air in your intestines, your ears/sinuses, lungs and even your teeth on occasion. Google "Boyles Law".

When the air in your "middle ear" expands during ascent, it vents thru your eustachian tube and escapes automatically, never a need other than maybe a jaw rock usually does the trick. "On occasion" a person blocks during ascent because they have tons of gunk (medical term I like) in their eustachian tube, thus preventing equalization.

During descent, the reverse is true. Problem with descents are the eustachian tube doesn't like to let air back "in". Typically people have to overcome the restriction by some method. ie., the Valsalva or swallowing, rocking the jaw...etc.

Let's say your in freefall, air pressure increasing but you can't valsalva because your eustachian tube is blocked with gunk. You try to perform a valsalva to force air into the middle ear cavity to "equalize" with the outside air pressure. But alas, you can't. Your eardrum gets pushed "inward". With that comes pain my friend. Sinuses are basically the same way. They hurt much much worse though!

Damage to the extent of permanent hearing loss can occur from a bad ear or sinus block.

p.s. Good luck.

All very true. Just wanted to elaborate on your point a little bit though. As mentioned, during ascension, the pressure inside your ears is increasing relative to the outside pressure (really the outside pressure is dropping) which tends to open everything up. On descent, the reverse is true. The higher pressure is outside, which tends to collapse your eustacian tube, making it hard to clear.

So, if you are having a hard time clearing on the climb, it will be even harder to on the descent (not to mention a descent at a MUCH higher rate of speed). If you are having issues on the ride up, you should probably ride the plane back down.

Not to play devils advocate or anything, but that statement is nonsense. My ears clog multiple times on EVERY plane ride without fail and I jump successfully without many probs.

Ears should clear automatically on ascent. I should have added "you prolly shouldn't be jumping at this time until you get an eval by a doctor"..

But to your response,

I said probably. Lots of people have issues with their ears. I think I said a jaw wiggle, etc. usually does the trick on ascent. For some (like the OP) with lots of congestion, then it's more of a problem. Read what I wrote why don't ya.

Not to play devils advocate or anything, but that statement is nonsense. My ears clog multiple times on EVERY plane ride without fail and I jump successfully without many probs.

Ears should clear automatically on ascent. I should have added "you prolly shouldn't be jumping at this time until you get an eval by a doctor"..

But to your response,

I said probably. Lots of people have issues with their ears. I think I said a jaw wiggle, etc. usually does the trick on ascent. For some (like the OP) with lots of congestion, then it's more of a problem. Read what I wrote why don't ya.

Yeah I mean doesn't everyone's ears clogs a little bit when a plane takes off and gains altitude? Mine certainly do, although swallowing fixes it right away, no need for big yawning moves like when landing.

Yeah I mean doesn't everyone's ears clogs a little bit when a plane takes off and gains altitude? Mine certainly do, although swallowing fixes it right away, no need for big yawning moves like when landing.

no it's not normal for an individuals ears to "clog" on ascent. On occasion w/ mild seasonal congestion, yes. Totally occluded, no. Popping and clicking in the ears is normal.

I am NOT an ENT nor a medical doctor of any kind.

I am an Aerospace Physiology Instructor and a Certified Hyperbaric Technologist. I work in hypobaric/hyperbaric chamber operations for the last 25 years. Pilot, 3000 hrs. Former jump pilot for 10 years. And 6 measley jumpsB|

no it's not normal for an individuals ears to "clog" on ascent. On occasion w/ mild seasonal congestion, yes. Totally occluded, no. Popping and clicking in the ears is normal.

I am NOT an ENT nor a medical doctor of any kind.

I am an Aerospace Physiology Instructor and a Certified Hyperbaric Technologist. I work in hypobaric/hyperbaric chamber operations for the last 25 years. Pilot, 3000 hrs. Former jump pilot for 10 years. And 6 measley jumpsB|

I think I'm having a hard time understanding what ears clogged mean then, because don't ears pop/click when you're unclogging them?

With someone that has relatively zero issues with their ears, they may/may not "hear" sounds occasionally during ascent that can best be described as "popping and clicking". If you do hear sounds like I described, it would be "normal".

Someone without normal equalization of the middle ear space, you may/may not hear popping and/or clicking during ascent.

I'll tell you this, if you go jump with the kind of congestion you described in your original post, you risk damage to your inner ear. We aren't just talking a perforated eardrum here (which could happen), but actual damage to you "inner ear". Sinuses are another issue and react to pressure change just like the middle ear and/or other cavities in the body that could hold trapped gas. Occluded spaces in the sinus cavity(s) can ruin your whole day and "may" have dire consequences.

Please take all this info, use or not use.

With someone that has relatively zero issues with their ears, they may/may not "hear" sounds occasionally during ascent that can best be described as "popping and clicking". If you do hear sounds like I described, it would be "normal".

Add to my own. In normal skydiving ops, there's entirely no freakin way you'll "hear" popping/clicking. It's in my biz (a relatively quiet altitude chamber) where that can be discerned.

Out

Sudafed. (The little red pills)

I didn't look up where you live but if you live in Missouri, you probably can't find them ... There are so many meth labs in this state, they banned the best medication I have ever used for sinus issues. Here they now have the Sudafed without the meth products and it sucks. You want the little red tablets if you can find them. Good luck! They work great for flying, SCUBA diving and skydiving.
Roy Bacon: "Elvises, light your fires."

Sting: "Be yourself no matter what they say."

I live in Iowa and we have the same law due to the meth. We can still get the original sudafed but you now have to go to the RX counter and show an ID and are limited to how many.

I'm pretty sure Iowa modeled it's law after Missouri's.
You should check it out at a pharmacy.
Be the canopy pilot you want that other guy to be.

At the rate that it is going I would not be surprised to find that real sudafed will need a prescription in the next couple of years. Things to think about...is this allergy or cold...if it is chronic you may need allergy meds.....i.e. claritan, zyrtec. Other things to consider...do you need nasal steroids i.e. flonase, nasonex, nasocort, (these are prescription only). stay away from Afrin...it is nothing but trouble when used long term and can cause rebound. I am a scuba diver as well and always have ear problems. You just need to find what combination works well for you......ASK your doc....they know you, we here on the forums really don't and don't know your medical history - all of which need to be considered.
DPH # 2
"I am not sure what you are suppose to do with that, but I don't think it is suppose to flop around like that." ~Skootz~
I have a strong regard for the rules.......doc!

Ive passed out under canopy before from pain in my tooth and jaw after opening. And suffer from nasal congestion.

Anything with Pseudoephidrene is pretty hard to get a hold on in australia The ice heads have meant restrictions here too. but just talk to your gp or doctor and you should be a able to get a prescription.

If you are getting counter decongestants make sure there non drowsy!

:)

.....And you thought Kiwis couldn't fly!!!!

yep...little towards the back as well........Thats where it started anyway.

Woke up in a cornfield just after i had landed all i could do was roll up in a ball and sob it out:D:S till someone came to get me.

After 4 codine and 4 hours sleep i was right as rain[:/]

But have never been as shit scared as i was the next jump on the following day..... forcing myself to get out the plane:)

yep...little towards the back as well........Thats where it started anyway.

Woke up in a cornfield just after i had landed all i could do was roll up in a ball and sob it out:D:S till someone came to get me.

After 4 codine and 4 hours sleep i was right as rain[:/]

But have never been as shit scared as i was the next jump on the following day..... forcing myself to get out the plane:)

You had a "maxillary sinus block" my friend. Those sinuses are basically located just above your teeth.

It do get painful.....don't it!!B|

Hell yes!!!!

So thats wat it was....

>:(

Is that connected to the middle ear or is it completely separate?....
how would i go about making sure it NEVER happened again

Thanks

Not connected to the eustachian tube at all. I'd ask your doc if your having bigtime issues. But for general congestion, sudafed usually works for most. I snort a little Afrin prior to diving or flying (when I have congestion) and that usually opens up the sinus passages. But there is no way to totally rule out having a sinus block.>:(

Sinus blocks usually give NO warning of impending pain........ Shit just stabs you hard!!

s

Not connected to the eustachian tube at all. I'd ask your doc if your having bigtime issues. But for general congestion, sudafed usually works for most. I snort a little Afrin prior to diving or flying (when I have congestion) and that usually opens up the sinus passages. But there is no way to totally rule out having a sinus block.>:(

Sinus blocks usually give NO warning of impending pain........ Shit just stabs you hard!!

Ill say no warning!..... everything was normal during freefall maybe just a little discomfort..... Then opened and a couple of seconds later ....

BAM!!!!!:S

I snort a little Afrin prior to diving or flying (when I have congestion) and that usually opens up the sinus passages.

HA HA HA.... I can just imagine the look on a tandems face as she walks into the hanger to se her TM calmly finishing off a big line.:)
PRICELESS!:D:D:D

consider that your afrin use is making the problem worse especially if your using it chronically....the every once in a while is one thing where chronic use is not a great thing. If things are really that bad you need to see an ENT. You may have polyps or spurring ect. sudafed is great especially if you don't have an issue with blood pressure...but if you do sudafed isn't necessarily a good thing either......hence seeing your doc is something to be considered.
DPH # 2
"I am not sure what you are suppose to do with that, but I don't think it is suppose to flop around like that." ~Skootz~
I have a strong regard for the rules.......doc!