SivaGanesha

"regular" jumps during a boogie

I will call manifest at Skydance directly and ask, but I was wondering what do expect in terms of whether "regular" AFF jumps continue during a boogie (in this case the 2008 American Boogie from June 19-22, 2008 at Skydance).

A little bit of my history (I've posted this before but just to refresh people's memory): most of my jumps were many years ago in Canada. I'm essentially starting again with AFF. I've been struggling financially this year due to the economy but now finally have a new job and am ready to get back in the year.

It just happens that the weekend when I will have my first paycheck from my new job corresponds with this boogie at Skydance--I didn't plan it that way. I REALLY want to be back in the air or at least at the DZ that weekend and not wait any longer--but will I be in the way at a boogie which, obviously, caters to more experienced jumpers? The website says they need volunteers for the boogie at Skydance--any ways that someone at my stage could volunteer effectively?

I'd hoped to be off student status at this point and able to participate more fully in the boogie but getting a job took longer than I'd hoped!

Thoughts? Thanks!!!
"It's hard to have fun at 4-way unless your whole team gets down to the ground safely to do it again!"--Northern California Skydiving League re USPA Safety Day, March 8, 2014

As for whether or not you can do AFF, that's a question for the DZ - whether staff will be working or playing is the big question. While there will be more planes in the air than normal, there are plenty of boogies where students continue to do AFF; whether the American Boogie is one is an open question.

As for volunteering - I'm betting the answer will be an enthusiastic "Hell yeah!" Most of what a DZ needs help with during a boogie requires absolutely no skydiving skill whatsoever. Helping with registration of jumpers. Setting up vendor tables and tents. Setting up for dinner. Cleaning up from dinner. Collecting trash. Passing out cups when the beer light is on. All manner of other "unskilled" labor.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Having worked at SkyDance during the boogie in years past, I'm pretty sure they can accommodate your student jumps without too much trouble.

As for helping out during the boogie, that is a GREAT idea. They can use help in all sorts of ways during the boogie. Fueling airplanes, driving the bad spot vans, helping in manifest, setting up for dinner and beer......

It's a perfect way to introduce yourself to the DZ and local community, you'll make friends, hear plenty of tall tales, and probably learn a thing or two.

Have fun!
B|

(I'll be around Thursday and Friday.)

----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

I'll be around Thursday and Friday.)

That man is trouble, be warned :P:)

As if that's not obvious. :P
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Fueling airplanes, driving the bad spot vans, helping in manifest, setting up for dinner and beer......

bad spots do not happen at a boogie, so you dont need a volunteer;)

The spot wasn't bad that guy just tracked too far
Divot your source for all things Hillbilly.
Anvil Brother 84
SCR 14192

i was at the same place last year, as you are now. just did aff, then the boogie came up. i helped out at the bar. i ended up being SO VERY DRUNK, like, well, probably never before.. :):P:)

“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

There will be students jumping during the boogie.

People who show up with beer/jello shots/cocktail fixings ...

Thanks for the replies everyone! I will post further comments specific to this boogie in the 'Events and Places to Jump' thread.
"It's hard to have fun at 4-way unless your whole team gets down to the ground safely to do it again!"--Northern California Skydiving League re USPA Safety Day, March 8, 2014