pyrodude

Terrible day at Elsinore

I've had 2 cutaways. On the student gear with an RSL I achieved the student activation speed during reserve deployment. A few weeks back I had a lineover that started to spin. With no RSL I passed the pro activation speed with less than a second from cutaway to silver. No AAD fire in either case because of my altitude but it does go to show that in both cases an AAD could have made a difference. It's hard to tell in this case but with no AAD installed it had not opportunity to fire anyway.

Some people are against RSLs and AADs citing a few rare misfires and problems but far more frequently we see comments about a fatality that had no AAD.

-Michael

I've had 2 cutaways. On the student gear with an RSL I achieved the student activation speed during reserve deployment. A few weeks back I had a lineover that started to spin. With no RSL I passed the pro activation speed with less than a second from cutaway to silver.

-Michael

As a newbie I am curious what are the student activation speed and the pro activation speed?
"A man only gets in life what he is believing for, nothing more and nothing less" Kenneth Hagen

This following post HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE INCIDENT AT ELSINORE (just want to throw that out there as I have not read about what happened there)

But in my opinion - RSL, Skyhook, AAD, edt - if you come down on your reserve without all your handles pulled....you did something wrong!!

Waiting for your *insert device name here* to get your reserve over your head is just stupid :S:S

This following post HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE INCIDENT AT ELSINORE (just want to throw that out there as I have not read about what happened there)

But in my opinion - RSL, Skyhook, AAD, edt - if you come down on your reserve without all your handles pulled....you did something wrong!!

Waiting for your *insert device name here* to get your reserve over your head is just stupid :S:S

:|

While I'd agree somewhat with your statements, Pegs, think on a few things from someone who's been at this a bit longer than you.

1. While, yes, we should all practice and execute our emergency procedures as if things like RSLs, SkyHooks and AADs weren't there, please also consider...

2. If at the end of the day, an RSL, SkyHook or AAD saves your ass, my ass or someone else's ass, then I'd rather that.

3. I've got friends that are dead that likely would be alive if they had of had an RSL or AAD. I've got friends that are alive because they did. You may also have friends in both those categories as well. If not, if you continue to skydive long enough, you will, or you may be the statistic.

4. No one deseves to die doing this. Be careful what you say to folks and how you say it.

5. To paraphrase Sparky... Remember, You will never be so good as to not possibly die doing this.

Thank you.

You were far more diplomatic than I was going to be. Its good that I didn't write what I was thinking.

IanHarrop - I'm trying to re-read my post and see where you were offended by my suggestion of fully executing safety procedures no matter what safety devices you choose to jump with??

No where did I mention any specific circumstances, point figers, or list any names what-so-ever. I even prefaced my post with a "this has nothing to do with the elsinore incident". I simply stated to pull silver. But to head you off, I guess I'll amend that statement. Attempt to pull silver (taking into account harness deformation and incapacitation)

What I was addressing stems specifically from situations like this... Student waits for cypress and this.... Wait for RSL?

The reason I posted what I posted was to address the student thought of "I'll wait for something to happen" which I have PERSONALLY heard stated. Being as how lurkers and new to skydiving students do read these threads, I thought that it would be a good idea to correct an incorrect line of thinking. I in no way referred to the tragedy in elsinore or suggested that is what he was doing. The number of cypress related posts on this thread prompted my response, where I thought that it might do some good.

ZigZag - Not argueing against AAD's, RSLs or Skyhooks at all. Not one bit. Just said not to rely on them. You better believe Airtec would be on my christmas card list if they saved my ass.

To all - I only piped in because the thread had taken a turn to a cypress discussion.

:|

As a newbie I am curious what are the student activation speed and the pro activation speed?

The short answer is 29 mph vs. 78 mph.
The complete answer is to be found here:
http://www.cypres.cc/Downloads/6_2_Users_Guides/6-2-1-1%20CYPRES_Users_guide_english.pdf

Please make it your usiness to know and understand any equipment that is attached to you. It could mean the difference between life and death.

Kevin K.

...I achieved the student activation speed during reserve deployment.
...I passed the pro activation speed with less than a second from cutaway to silver
... No AAD fire in either case because of my altitude

Hackish,

I'm curious to know how you determined the speed data that you have stated above, if the AAD did not fire. I was under the impression that this sort of data was only available via a factory data download.

Kevin