SwiftCurse

AFF at age 16 possible?

I don't see why waiting till i am 18 would be such a big problem I've been reading the forums and i see that some people think its a great idea to start at 16.

I've also seen on the forums that this one guy said if i break an ankle at age 16 i could sue, but why would i sue if it was my fault in the first place cause i didn't follow instructions so i think i would deserve the broken ankle, leg, foot, arm, or whatever.

And sure their will probably a lot of paper work but i think it will be worth it.

I don't see why waiting till i am 18 would be such a big problem I've been reading the forums and i see that some people think its a great idea to start at 16.

I've also seen on the forums that this one guy said if i break an ankle at age 16 i could sue, but why would i sue if it was my fault in the first place cause i didn't follow instructions so i think i would deserve the broken ankle, leg, foot, arm, or whatever.

And sure their will probably a lot of paper work but i think it will be worth it.

While that is logical, there are a bunch of idiots in the world. The dropzone has to cover its ass.

Yes i can see that aswell..
but before we stray off topic can we get back onto the main point of this subject

As has been said, try The Parachute Center in Acampo (near Lodi).

www.theparachutecenter.com Of the dropzones in CA, that's the most likely, but it all depends on what kind of mood Bill's been in lately.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

No offense intended, but if you don't understand the problems here, you're not going to understand the valid legal reasons why the DZ wants you to be 18 so your waiver is valid. No amount of paperwork erases the fact that you cannot enter into a contract. And your parents can't do it for you.

BTW, the broken ankle doesn't result in many lawsuits - but disabling ones (spine) or deadly ones do. People who no longer can support themselves look for anyone else to - the same instructor that was so great last year is now an incompetent bastard who let me paralyze myself.

And where do your parents stand on this? Are they supportive? Even aware? You may be able to do it in Lodi.

No offense intended, but if you don't understand the problems here, you're not going to understand the valid legal reasons why the DZ wants you to be 18 so your waiver is valid. No amount of paperwork erases the fact that you cannot enter into a contract. And your parents can't do it for you.

BTW, the broken ankle doesn't result in many lawsuits - but disabling ones (spine) or deadly ones do. People who no longer can support themselves look for anyone else to - the same instructor that was so great last year is now an incompetent bastard who let me paralyze myself.

And where do your parents stand on this? Are they supportive? Even aware? You may be able to do it in Lodi.

I am fully aware of the risks of what can happen to me but i still want to do it.
And what is so bad about doing it in Lodi?

You say you are fully aware, but yet you used the sprained ankle as an example fo not wanting to sue.

I dont think you grasp the risks involved in skydiving. Just go read last week's fatalities. 2 1st jump students died.

When your waiver is not worth the paper it's printed on since you cant enter into a contract, anybody with a dime to make will be able to sue the DZ, wether you are dead or not, consenting or not.
Remster

That doesn't make sense if I or my parents can't enter a contract for me then who can?

the only person that can be entered into a legally binding contract is that person at the age of 18. many law suits have been won b/c the underage person had there parents sign for them but under "not fully aware" of what they were signing, welcome to the US. but Lodi is your best bet, blue skies and good luck. you can listen to all of us tell you 100 different things but the only way you will find out is if you call up or go out there. the other DZ's in SoCal will not let you jump at 16. Elsinore/Perris/San Diego.
JewBag.
www.jewbag.wordpress.com

the only person that can be entered into a legally binding contract is that person at the age of 18. many law suits have been won b/c the underage person had there parents sign for them but under "not fully aware" of what they were signing, welcome to the US. but Lodi is your best bet, blue skies and good luck. you can listen to all of us tell you 100 different things but the only way you will find out is if you call up or go out there. the other DZ's in SoCal will not let you jump at 16. Elsinore/Perris/San Diego.

Thank You thats what i was looking for someone just to tell me what i can and can't do

I am fully aware of the risks of what can happen to me but i still want to do it.
And what is so bad about doing it in Lodi?

To be clear, there's nothing wrong with doing it at Lodi. Though outside the USPA, it's a perfectly good place for those who can take care of themselves. It's not the place for those who need to be babysat.

I can't tell where you lie on that scale, though my gut reading of your posts thinks you're not ready. I asked about your parents because unless you're independent of them, it's rather necessary that they support this goal. Esp if they're paying for it. And I doubt Bill or any other DZO will consider it without their involvement.

To be clear, there's nothing wrong with doing it at Lodi. Though outside the USPA, it's a perfectly good place for those who can take care of themselves. It's not the place for those who need to be babysat.

I can't tell where you lie on that scale, though my gut reading of your posts thinks you're not ready. I asked about your parents because unless you're independent of them, it's rather necessary that they support this goal. Esp if they're paying for it. And I doubt Bill or any other DZO will consider it without their involvement.

Yea they support me all the way. They actually want to do a Tandem freefall. And I just got to pay half for the AFF training.

another consideration if you aren't able to learn to jump yet is to get into the wind tunnel. It will help you with your eventual AFF training and you can learn body positioning and get the sense of what free fall feels like. It isn't really what you want but it is an option that is viable for you if you aren't able to start jumping right a way. I have about 80 minutes of tunnel time and it has definitely helped with my flying - and I will be doing more.;)

DPH # 2
"I am not sure what you are suppose to do with that, but I don't think it is suppose to flop around like that." ~Skootz~
I have a strong regard for the rules.......doc!

That doesn't make sense if I or my parents can't enter a contract for me then who can?

To echo someone elses post. No one. But your parents can still sue. You could be waivered out of the ass, and since you are not old enough to enter into a legal binding contract it all means nothing. You say you won't sue but you can't be sure your parents won't. Even if they promised you now, do you think they would keep that promise if you were to die or become a vegetable? Do sometime in the tunnel and just wait till you hit 18. 16 is what, sophomore year in high school? IMHO thats way to young to be making huge decisions like these. Hell when I look back on high school and being 16 I think of just how dumb I really was even though, at the time, I thought I was all mature and shit.