Jumps

Time to take some time off?

I have been in this sport for a little over 3 years now, and have really enjoyed every aspect of it.

Seems recently that I dont look forward to jumping as much as I used to.

Don't know what it is, just seems as if jumping has become an effort recently, actually had to force myself to get up this morning and go out to the dz, after arriving I chose not to jump and the weather was perfect for jumping:S

Stayed for a while and hung out, got back in the car and went back home.

Is it possible to get "burned out" in skydiving?

Whatever is happening, my concern is that I have become a danger to my fellow skydivers when I do jump, and for that reason alone, have made the choice to step away from making any jumps until this "feeling" is sorted out or go's away.

I have not spoken to anyone at my home dz's about this, but am wondering if anyone here has ever experienced anything like this?

Do you feel that you're not able to jump safely and that's why you're not motivated, or are you unmotivated and that's why you're concerned that you may not be as driven to safety as you used to be?

It's just a thought, but perhaps you're just in need of a new challenge? What kind of jumps do you do? Taking a break may be one answer. Another might be to try to learn a new discipline. If you were doing 4-way and feel like you've done all that you wanted to do in that discipline, perhaps try taking up freeflying, wingsuiting, CRW... whatever takes your fancy.

I know that early on in my career I did a *lot* of solo jumps working on individual skills, but that got boring pretty quick. When I started to do more 2-ways, that cured the boredom that was beginning to set in very quickly.

Well, I know that I am able to jump safely, and my concern is that my lack of motivation may have lead to a complacency which anyone of us knows is the most dangerous thing to be in skydiving.

I have been doing some 6 ways and got my feet wet with wingsuits but its the same feeling as I mentioned earlier.

Maybe a better way to describe the "feeling" is that its the same one I had about my career at one point, but that was after 18 years on the job, and yes, changing to a different job title with different duties helped a great deal there, it has not seemed to help with jumping.

I should add that in 3 years, there were about 4 months that I was away from skydiving because of an injury(non skydiving related), came back from that , really enjoyed getting in the air again and having a kickass time:)
I believe that stepping away for a period of time will help, you know the old saying that goes something like "dont realize how much something means to you until you dont have it anymore".

Kind of crazy, isnt it?:S

Skydiving is a game. If you are not having fun, there is really no other reason to do it. Go do some climbing or something. Maybe you are done; there are lots and lots of people who do 500 jumps or less and are just done. The sky will always be there.
On the other hand if you really are not done, but are just looking to restore the spark maybe this would be a good time to think about getting a coach or instructor rating. If you have your D why don't you go do a few 2-ways with some 10-20 jump, just off AFF peeps. Even if it doesn't turn out to do the trick you will be paying it foreward on your way out of the sport. I guarantee you you will not be complacent about the safety of those around you on those dives.

Sounds like you need to mix it up a little. What type(s) of jumps do you usually do? If you are primarily a belly flyer start working on improving your sit and head down. If you are a freeflyer you could join a 4 way team or start getting involved in bigways.

Learn accuracy, try freestyle, try style, go for your PRO rating, learn to skysurf or birdman, try speed skydiving.

There are a ton of things to do in the sky, you may not get great at all of them but it's nice to have some exposure to as many disciplines as you safely can.

I'm guessing you jump year-round in Texas, right?

So aside from your four month break, you've been jumping non-stop for three years, maybe you just need another break.

Just stop going to the DZ. When you feel like jumping again, go back. It's that simple.

Remember that after any period of not jumping, to do a review of your emergency procedures, and ease back into things with some two ways on days with nice weather.

A great many people who take up Skydiving as a Hobby do it for 2 to 5 years before moving on.

I have seen a number of people go hard for 3 years, get 1000 jumps and they fade away totally.

Certainly have had a number of conversations over the years on why people stay in the sport past the 3-5 mark and there are a couple of common themes.

The main reason I have been skydiving as long as I have are the people. Skydiving is one of the most sociable activities you can do and I have met wonderful people from around the world.

Also there are always new challenges and goals to set. A lot of people fade away cause they have climbed all their hills or have acheived all their goals. There are always new ones.

And always keep it fun. Whether you are a recreational jumper, competitive jumper, weekend instructor, keep it fun.

Cause if you aint having fun in Skydiving, then ya definately need to ask yourself why and what changes you can make.

Blue ones

Major Dad
CSPA D-579

Skydiving is a game. If you are not having fun, there is really no other reason to do it. Go do some climbing or something. Maybe you are done; there are lots and lots of people who do 500 jumps or less and are just done. The sky will always be there.

Could be, It took me 43 jumps to get off student status .

The difficulty I had as a student presented a challenge, and I love overcoming obstacles.

Just gotta find somthing that presents a real challenge and go at it I guessB|