MomDaBomb

Surfer's Myelopathy & Skydiving?

I saw this on Prime Time tonight and it made me wonder if this is something that can happen to skydivers too? Especially in the wind tunnel. I've never tried surfing so I don't how hard they arch and for how long between waves. Has anyone ever heard of anything like this happen from skydiving?

David Muir reports on a mysterious and terrifying threat that could be lurking for beginner surfers -- not under the water, but in their own bodies. Muir speaks with two men who tried surfing for the first time on a beach vacation and became paralyzed from the waist down because of a rare complication known as Surfer's Myelopathy. Dr. James Pearce, who first documented this condition nearly 25 years ago, explains to "Primetime" that, when the spinal cord is hyper-extended, as when a surfer arches his back on the board, it can interrupt the blood flow to the spine causing what he calls a "stroke to the spine." For now, no medication or surgery is available to treat Surfer's Myelopathy. Many patients do recover, however, through intense physical therapy.

I've been surfing for 20yrs+ and never heard of that...B|
But I can tell you its not the same 'arch' as in skydiving. Surfing is chest up while the rest of the body is flat. In skydiving is more like hips down. From what I have experienced in both sports, the 'bent' on the back is at different places.

HISPA #93
DS #419.5

pfff.. don't be a hypochondriac...what you described is like whip lash of the lower spine, its a sudden and violent bend in the spine while trying to keep balance.

Actually surfers myelopathy is a very real thing and not just a whip lash injury. Research it. It can really suck.