dpatrick

Pressure, Noise Levels During Freefall

Hey guys!!
I'm so pumped. I did my first tandem less than a week ago in San Diego while visiting. Totally awesome. Found out there's a DZ near my home here too.

So here's my question... During freefall I was like def. I couldn't hear myself yell, but heard windnoise. I'm not sure if this is normal or not. After the chute opened I could talk to my instructor, but was a little "hard of hearing" for a good ten minutes.

I'm not sure if this was from noise, or pressure, or a combination of the two. I'm a little concerned about preventing hearing damage if it was from the noise.

So on the one hand I'm thinking of giving ear plugs a shot, on the other I'm thinking that maybe that'll make the pressure worse! Maybe buying a helmet? Anyway, I definitely plan on jumping some more.

Any feedback?
Thanks.

Well when you're falling 120+mph it's not exactly a gentle breeze. Wind is usually the only thing I and most everybody hears. Well sometimes I hear demons telling me do do evil things but that's another story. The pressure is something you will probably get used to over time and eventually will not feel it but i never really had this problem so idunno.

I don't actually know how loud it is but I've never heard of anyone worried about hearing loss from the wind sound in freefall. Some of the airplanes though are very loud and often I've worn my helmet all the way to altitude to help with that. A friend wears ear plugs for the ride up but takes them out for the jump.

Ear plugs under canopy would not be a good idea. You need to hear the wind speed to judge the canopy's flight as well as hear the guy next to you yelling at you not to turn right.;)

You "hearing loss" was likely a pressure imbalance in you ears from the rapid descent. The valsalva manuver will help clear it if necessary. I'll let you look it up.

You should be more concerned with altitude loss than hearing loss.:P

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Hearing loss is caused by three factors: wind, pressure and fear.

120 mile per hour wind creates an awful lot of "white noise" making it impossible to hear anything else. Close-fitting helmets reduce wind noise, while ear plugs reduce airplane noise. However, ear plugs are usually discouraged for students because it gives them another excuse to ignore radios ... see the last paragraph.

Secondly, pressure change stretches the ear drum, making it less sensitive to spoken words. Solution: valsalva ...

Fear - the third factor - is less well documented. Fear deafens skydiving students and causes tunnel vision.

Ear plugs are a huge help, with pressure, and hearing. The ease equalization during ascent and descent. If you still feel different pressure, the plugs usually lessen the effects.

I personally use triple-flange type plugs ,available from just about any drug store. I can still have a conversation when wearing them, plus the pressure and noise is greatly reduced.
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

Thanks for all of the wealth of replies guys. So the consensus is... it's normal, and the one minute of free falling is not going to destroy my hearing? :)

the plane ride up is the primary risk, triply so on a really loud plane like the Perris Skyvan.

I think you suffered discomfort on the fall due to not clearing your ears for the pressure delta. Try diving down to 15ft in a pool and see how your ears feel. It's about the same.

I couldn't hear myself yell, but heard windnoise. I'm not sure if this is normal or not. After the chute opened I could talk to my instructor, but was a little "hard of hearing" for a good ten minutes.

I believe that you're in more danger of damaging your hearing on the ride to altitude than the fall back down.

A lot of the people at my DZ keep their helmets strapped to their cheststrap during the climb, but I prefer to keep mine on. I find it works like earplugs: deafens the background noise while still allowing me to hear what I need to (In fact, my hearing is such that without it on, I can't understand a word people on the plane say, but with it on, I can catch a portion of it). My helmet fits comfortably, so it's not a big deal to me to leave it on.

As far as the pressure, I think you'll naturally learn to adjust. On my first dozen or so jumps, I was practically deaf for 10 minutes or so after I landed, usually because my ears were plugged. I could improve my hearing by doing the plug-your-nose-and-blow thing, but now it's unnecessary.