No_Phear

A question that may not have an answer...

So as I am working on my license, things are going well, but on my D-1 jump, I had a little trouble with doing a unintended 180, 2X. I corrected them no problem, and I just figured I let my left arm/shoulder drop a bit when I didn't mean too.

Upon further reflection, I discovered that maybe I have a natural problem, which leads to less resistance on my left side. Allow me to explain: My left arm is a bit smaller than my right, due to the fact that I had a full thickness burn to a good 80% of my left arm, from the shoulder nearly to the wrist. As a result, I no longer have a fat layer on that arm, making it's circumference a little smaller than my right. Does anyone think that this could be a slight problem I will always have to compensate for in freefall, or was I just having a lazy arm? What do you think?

I just thought I'd ask here before I address it with my instructors on Sat. Thanks.
Tact is not my specialty.....

Dirty Sanchez #453

Nope, trust me on this, the size of your arm has nothing to do with your turn. Heck, you've only got six jumps, the turns will improve and you'll be turning without even thinking about them.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

>What do you think?

It is unlikely that your arm size is an issue, since I know several people who jump missing large parts of their arms without problems. It is more likely that you are unconsciously favoring that arm and that is reflected in your body position. Many people with serious injuries do that.

If you can turn in both directions, you have adequate heading control; you just have to work on getting it coordinated with the rest of your skydiving.

>What do you think?

It is unlikely that your arm size is an issue, since I know several people who jump missing large parts of their arms without problems. It is more likely that you are unconsciously favoring that arm and that is reflected in your body position. Many people with serious injuries do that.

If you can turn in both directions, you have adequate heading control; you just have to work on getting it coordinated with the rest of your skydiving.

That makes a lot of sense.. I do favor that arm, and thanks to physical therapy to regain the use of it a few years back, that arm is stronger than my dominant right arm.
Tact is not my specialty.....

Dirty Sanchez #453

since my shoulder break two summers back, there is a slight asymmetry between my shoulders, and I can feel the difference with the rig on. However, any effect is has on a belly fall is insignificant, or simply compensated for without thinking about it. But you only have 6 minutes, 3 or 4 most without an AAFI attached, so you're still working on it.

A 180 seems like much more than a slight size different anyway, which would be a slow turn rate. Just keep at it - I remember that battle.

since my shoulder break two summers back, there is a slight asymmetry between my shoulders, and I can feel the difference with the rig on.

I have the same issue (multiple breaks to my left collar bone in a motorcycle crash, now my left shoulder is closer to my neck than my right shoulder). When I am gearing up I notice the difference in the fit of my harness but in the air it does not affect my flying.
Keep at it you will be flying straight in no timeB|

Just burning a hole in the sky.....