npgraphicdesign

Another saturday, another semi-successful couple of jumps.

Well, it started off on a good note...but didn't end on a great note.

D2 - first solo exit no JM grips, did well on the exit (out of a 206, 2nd exit overall out of that plane) good 180 and 360 turns, rock-solid pull, good dive overall.

E1 - same exit out of the 206, a bit rocky and took me about 10 seconds to get stable. Then...the excrement hit the fan..or rather, the wind. Did barrel roll #1, ended up flailing & on my back. Never really recovered completely, and then went into lightning fast spin. Did everything I could to stop it. Or so I thought...until my instructor told me (on the ground) that it didn't even look like I was trying. Turns out my hands and feet were dragged by the wind and I thought i was arching, but i was arching sideways. The spin was so bad that I lost sight of her almost completely. She came in to try to stop me, but backed off when she saw me reaching for the pull handle. Pulled at 4500 on the nose (when I was suppose to) but i was still in the spin...and had some really high-quality line twists. I mean these fuckers were NICE! Took me about 8-10 seconds of bicycle kicking to untwist them. Then to add insult to injury, I was still thinking about my crappy spin and got caught in some wind. Confused the hell out of my instructor on the radio, who thought I was going one way, then another. I ended up never turning into my base, and just did a weak 180 and landed a bit diagonally and not as was planned. But he decided to let me do my thing and land on my own. So...I landed in a corn field right next to the DZ, with thankfully no corn. Almost stood the landing up but lost traction in the dirt. Strike 3. :D:D

See these kind of days make me really discouraged about continuing. I still got an awesome rush from the jumps today, and even though I was scared as hell during my spin and deployment, I still enjoyed it. I am just really bummed about having to repeat a jump. I was hoping to get to barrel rolls today and possibly a hop n' pop. Instead have to repeat my E1 next weekend. So how do you guys get over the disappointment of failing a jump? thought I was over that hump...but not after today...

The only way to truely fail a jump is to not survive....

Have fun.... do your best....the rest will follow :)

Good point. :)But...sometimes the mindset (and our minds do think for us sometimes ;)) is "..i've had to repeat jump X several times, while this person is breezing through their AFF.." So does the fact that I've erred on a few jump make me a bad fit for skydiving or someone w/ less potential for it? In the end, it's just really frustrating...

I was right there going through that same frustration a couple of months ago, while others graduated aff without failing a single jump. If nothing else, repeating jumps gives you more experience and that isn't a bad thing.

Don't give up! :) The number of jumps it takes you to complete aff has nothing to do with what you may become in the future.

Think positive, converse with your instructors on how to correct your mistakes, and get back in the air. It's worth it!
Serious relationships turn into work after a few weeks and I already got a fucking job :)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
H.A.F. = Hard As Fuck ... Goddamn Amateurs

Good point. :)But...sometimes the mindset (and our minds do think for us sometimes ;)) is "..i've had to repeat jump X several times, while this person is breezing through their AFF.." So does the fact that I've erred on a few jump make me a bad fit for skydiving or someone w/ less potential for it? In the end, it's just really frustrating...

I will agree that watching another pass a level while you do not, can certainly be frustrating....

However skydiving is a sport that people make hundreds and thousands of jumps just working on one aspect of the sport....

Keeping a open mind and positive attitude Will get you far in this sport....dont fret the minor things...learn from them and use that to your advantage to improve and surpass the skill set required to pass a certain level.... :)

I was right there going through that same frustration a couple of months ago, while others graduated aff without failing a single jump. If nothing else, repeating jumps gives you more experience and that isn't a bad thing.

Don't give up! :) The number of jumps it takes you to complete aff has nothing to do with what you may become in the future.

Think positive, converse with your instructors on how to correct your mistakes, and get back in the air. It's worth it!

Oh i'm not giving up...not until my instructors tell me to. :P

How'd you do on your barrel rolls? Everyone said they are easy, yet I couldn't do one...curious if anyone else had the same issues...

How'd you do on your barrel rolls? Everyone said they are easy, yet I couldn't do one...curious if anyone else had the same issues...

My barrel roll jump ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McmATzuT71A

Not perfect, but I passed.
Serious relationships turn into work after a few weeks and I already got a fucking job :)

How bad do you want it? This is not a rude, mean, or smart-ass question. I knew from my first jump that this is something I really, really wanted to do. I had a period of time when I couldn't move to the next step no matter what I (or my instructors) tried. I've tried and failed and given up a number of things in my life. Some were minor, others were not and I've had to live with the regret. I wasn't willing to give up skydiving. It took me a long time to get my license, but I learned a hell of a lot, both about skydiving and about myself in the process.
Remember, you are quite new at this. There will be setbacks, no matter how good you are. If it was that easy, anybody could do it. You have to decide how bad you want it, and how many setbacks you are willing to overcome.
On a brighter note, you had a great jump, and a not so great jump. If any of the guys in the baseball playoffs could bat .500, they'd be superman. Those first solo jumps can be really frustrating because you don't know yet what was good and what was lucky.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

My barrel roll jump ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McmATzuT71A

Not perfect, but I passed.

Nice..i actually saw that when I was browsing some skydiving videos on youtube.

Why'd you get the pull signal? Were you past your deployment altitude and didn't know it, or because you were going through clouds, or....??

How bad do you want it? This is not a rude, mean, or smart-ass question. I knew from my first jump that this is something I really, really wanted to do. I had a period of time when I couldn't move to the next step no matter what I (or my instructors) tried. I've tried and failed and given up a number of things in my life. Some were minor, others were not and I've had to live with the regret. I wasn't willing to give up skydiving. It took me a long time to get my license, but I learned a hell of a lot, both about skydiving and about myself in the process.
Remember, you are quite new at this. There will be setbacks, no matter how good you are. If it was that easy, anybody could do it. You have to decide how bad you want it, and how many setbacks you are willing to overcome.
On a brighter note, you had a great jump, and a not so great jump. If any of the guys in the baseball playoffs could bat .500, they'd be superman. Those first solo jumps can be really frustrating because you don't know yet what was good and what was lucky.

Oh I didn't interpret it as wiseass, rude or mean. ;)

I want it bad. I want my license, which for me personally is a huge first step, and I want to continue with this sport and become proficient in it.

Why'd you get the pull signal? Were you past your deployment altitude and didn't know it, or because you were going through clouds, or....??

Pulled on time ... not sure about the signal. Never asked because I was in the middle of the wave off when I saw it.

How bad do you want it?

He's right ... For those of us who struggled with aff, you just have to want it bad enough to move away from the frustration and stay focused on your goal.

Just to let you in on my personal story ... I repeated Cat A about an hour after I failed it on the day of my first jump course. After I screwed up the exit count, I got myself into the fetal position, and fell on my back for about half of the freefall. When I did finally get stable ... I did my practice pulls and then one of the instructors pulled for me.

I repeated Cat C three times because of body position problems. My log book said "Need More Arch" for a couple of weekends before I decided to give the tunnel a shot. I came back a day after I did 30 minutes in the tunnel and I finally passed Cat C.

The majority of my problems were due to the fact that I didn't know how to relax under those circumstances. I was never a laid back and relaxed type of person to begin with, so that made it even more difficult. Eventually I got there and I feel like the past few months of my life have been the most amazing that I've ever experienced.

<<>>

My first barrel roll, I was too enthusiastic. I did
1 1/2 rolls and wound up on my back. It was easy to get back to my belly, though. The AFFI said it's not how well I do the roll, it's how well I get stable after being in an unstable position that really counts.

Don't worry. You'll do fine next week.

I managed to get on my back and then didn't have enough momentum to finish the roll. After a split second I twisted/kicked my legs (not what I was instructed to do to get off my back, but it was my first instinct and it worked perfectly) to get that extra umph needed to get me belly to earth again.

Breathe, Relax, Smile!!! B|B|B|

Many of us struggled at various points in our progression as students. This isn't a race... how many jumps we need to master a skill is less relevant than the fact that we are safe and having fun.

The most absurd and most valuable advice I got about learning freefall skiills was to RELAX. The more relaxed I am the better I fly.... It can be hard to relax when it seems like performance is so important and demanding. Perhaps your instructors have suggestions about how to relax in the plane.

I really struggled with some skills, but with perseverence on my part and infinite patience on the part of my coach... I got through it!

Stay safe, have fun.

The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!

Dude dont know what your up to in your career as a skydiver but things come and LOL they go. I landed my first 9 out of 11 jumps on my feet. I ate grass 6 outta the last 8. Maybe you had a bad weekend I ended up owing beer! :D First time for me. Wait is that more beer?

I keep telling my friends skydiving will fix all your problems, Im a fibber you just let go a minute at a time. Choose what to do with it.

See these kind of days make me really discouraged about continuing. I still got an awesome rush from the jumps today, and even though I was scared as hell during my spin and deployment, I still enjoyed it. I am just really bummed about having to repeat a jump. I was hoping to get to barrel rolls today and possibly a hop n' pop. Instead have to repeat my E1 next weekend.

In relation to this & your post about someone else breezing through AFF, I can understand. I had to re-do a couple of levels myself. (And my girlfriend had to re-do her release dive 3 times - passed it on try #4, then sailed through the rest).

Just keep in mind, this is a personal challenge. Everyone is different, and everyone moves at different speeds. Don't focus on anyone else. Focus on yourself. And know that each jump is a valuable one - whether you advance to the next level or not. You're building your skills exponentially every time, so don't look at it as a total loss.

Think of the journey, not the destination. :)

So how do you guys get over the disappointment of failing a jump? thought I was over that hump...but not after today...

The only way I could ever *really* get over a jump I felt bad about was to get back in the air and do it again. Which is tough when you're a student, given the cost of things. But just relax, and know that it'll come. You'll get there.

Like one of the other posters said, it's not a "fail." I know it's easy to think of it that way, but it's not. You got down safely, and you'll do better next time.

Good luck!
Signatures are the new black.

You are sooooo not alone!

You will find there are a lot of folks here who didn't "breeze" through shit - learning to skydive is probably one of the most unnatural (or is it?) things a person can do.

You've been skydiving for about 7 minutes, if you think about it. You have been flying under a canopy for about 21 minutes. How many other things have you mastered in so short a time?

Don't be too hard on yourself - it will come. Maybe you could try finding a place that does IAD or Static Line training. The jumps tend to be less expensive, and therefore is less painful if you don't hit your TLOs. Or maybe have your instructors put together a dive that has no objective except you watching your altitude, staying stable, and pulling - a low pressure "burn" dive, so to speak. Worked wonders for me!

Like others have said, try not to look at it as "failing a jump." EVERY skydive counts, and every skydive is an opportunity to have FUN, FUN, FUN!!!

Don't forget to have fun.
T.I.N.S.