xfierybynaturex

Never dived before, and have questions!

Hey all! I've never sky dived, I don't have the money to do it, but I'm attempting to write about it. So! I have a couple of questions.

1) When do you put the backpacks on? On the ground, in the air, right before you jump out of the airplane, when?

2) Do instructors check equipment right before you jump, on the ground, in the airplane, where?

3) Would a brand new student doing an assisted jump be more likely to jump out first with the two instructors or last? Or middle?

4) Are there hand signals you use in the air to communicate with each other, like between instructors and their students, like with scuba diving or not so much?

5)Do most instructors do this for a living, or do they have other day jobs when they're not jumping?

Thanks, guys! Really appreciate the input.

The 'search' function is your friend :) Many or all of these questions have been covered here before. But since I'm bored, here it goes.(Any instructors/more experienced jumpers, feel free to correct me):

1) When do you put the backpacks on? Usually 15-20 minutes min. before the load is called for takeoff. We call them 'rigs' ;)

2) Do instructors check equipment right before you jump, on the ground, in the airplane, where? All of the above. Usually they check before you don the gear, while helping you adjust it, before getting on the plane, and again before you exit.

3) Would a brand new student doing an assisted jump be more likely to jump out first with the two instructors or last? Or middle? Can't comment. Never done nor seen an AFF done.

4) Are there hand signals you use in the air to communicate with each other, like between instructors and their students, like with scuba diving or not so much? Moreso for instructors to communicate with students.

5)Do most instructors do this for a living, or do they have other day jobs when they're not jumping?

Many of them do, but I think most do it on a part-time basis.
PULL!! or DIE!!

1. The rig is worn on the ground, it will be fully adjusted and setup ready to jump, there is no adjustment on the plane.

2. They will check your gear before you put it on, before you board the plane and again before you jump out.

3. Exits are different according to the dropzone and more specifically the aircraft used. For two instructors, you will be in the middle and they will have grips on your harness/jumpsuit on both sides.

4. While in freefall, it's one way communication, instructors have different methods to communicate with the student, hand signals being one of them. You won't be doing any hand signals back.

5. I've seen both, all the instructors at my DZ have careers other then skydiving because it's a small place. At the big turbine DZ there are plenty of full time instructors.

Sky dude's answers are good.

Regarding exit order, the AFF student and instructor(s) are among the last to leave the plane. This is driven by the planned parachute deplyment altitude. The high openers (like AFF, & Tandems) are usually last... unless there are folks who will open immediately upon exiting at full altitude (full altitude hop&pop, Canopy Relative Work).

Get thee to a dropzone!!!!
The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!

Sorry to be a dick here but it's just what I do.

In 7 months you have not been able to make it to a DZ or scrape together the money to do a tandem??

There are two great sources for info. One is the movie Point Break. The other is the movie Fandango. That should give you everything you need.

Sorry to be a dick here but it's just what I do.

In 7 months you have not been able to make it to a DZ or scrape together the money to do a tandem??

There are two great sources for info. One is the movie Point Break. The other is the movie Fandango. That should give you everything you need.

-----------------------------------------------------------
Absolutely 2 of the best sources you can find in any video store.

Truman Sparks of Fandango is a skydiving legend and one of the best instructors to ever take chalk to board. Watch it and learn at the hands of a master!

Point Break should answer all your questions about communication in freefall.

:)
Really, just visit a DZ because you can't always trust what you read on the internet.;)

Point Break should answer all your questions about communication in freefall.

And swooping, and Mr Bill, and . . . low pulls, and . . . . and . . . speed stars.

"One last speed star before the end of summer Johny!"

Big chuckles last week when we were planning an 8-way. One of the guys says we should just do a speed star, because that is what many of our 8-ways turn into anyway once we funnel.:ph34r:
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

Okay, you'll be coming out here and doing a stable fall facedown, frog modified. Out here comes the static line. lt goes from this to here. The pilot chute opens, pulling the bridle out, and then the main canopy will be open. And then you'll be down here, looking up here for the WDl indicator. And you'll also check for Mae West. lf that's not there, you need to check here for four panels and a hole. When you come down, you'll find the P, you'll land here and get in this position. Except you don't wanna do that. That's trouble. What you want to do is get right here, come around here, fold up... ...and do a toggle and jettison, and always watch the horizon, okay?

Even though I did AFF and not static line - long after Mae Wests were out of style - I had those instructions running through my head on my first AFF jump...
Skwrl Productions - Wingsuit Photography

Northeast Bird School - Chief Logistics Guy and Video Dork