BASE841

Close Call Video?

Last weekend, I heard about a recent skydiving video. It was supposed to have been shot by Peter from Colorado, of his coming quite close to a firefighting plane while he was in freefall.

I checked skydivingmovies.com but didn't find it. I also sent a note directly to Peter but he hasn't answered me yet. I tried Youtube but didn't get anywhere there, either.

Any suggestions?

You would think the pilot would have been routed away from the DZ since jumpers were in the air.

For the most part, pilots fly where they want. You would think the pilot would have routed himself away from the DZ since jumpers were in the air though. :)
So I take it from the original poster that this happened AGAIN? Where?

Dave

This happened several years ago during the Hayman fires south of Denver. I was there the day that it happened, and since it was high cloud cover that day we could see it from the ground. We couldn't tell how close it was until he got down, shaking and cussing, and then showed the video. It is amazing if seen in frame-by-frame because it shows just how close it was...any closer and he'd be dead. I don't know where he's been the last few years but heard he's around somewhere.

And for the record, he fell between the left wing and horizontal stabilizer of a slury bomber right at deployment altitude. He was freeflying and when he rolled over to his belly to pitch, that's when he encountered the plane. After falling past it he rolled onto his back to see what it was and the plane is flying away from him. Again this is an old video (summer 2002). The bomber was working on a smaller fire up by Estes Park and was on its way to JeffCo airport to reload. Still quite amazing to see.
"I don't know where it is that I'm going, but wherever it is there I'll be!" --quoted by me