keithbar

airport security and "swabbing" rigs

I've been reading the threads about carrying on your rig. does anyone know if the "swabbing" thing picks up gunpowder? both blackpowder and smokeless? or does it detect only stuff like tnt plastic explosives and the like. I own a lot of firearms and shoot frequently. wondering if I should be concerned.
i have on occasion been accused of pulling low . My response. Naw I wasn't low I'm just such a big guy I look closer than I really am .

I've been reading the threads about carrying on your rig. does anyone know if the "swabbing" thing picks up gunpowder? both blackpowder and smokeless? or does it detect only stuff like tnt plastic explosives and the like. I own a lot of firearms and shoot frequently. wondering if I should be concerned.

not sure, always a chance, I had a friend carry on her organic chemistry lab book and they went crazy. Plus if they do they will want to open up your reserve, if they ask to open it ask for their supervisor and ask them to provide a certified FAA rigger to repack it after they open it

Actually, my understanding is that the swabbing detects nitrates. They are present in explosives, gunpowder (black, black substitute and smokeless), fertilizers and other things.
Unless you store your rig in your loading room (if you load your own), washing your hands after loading or shooting should keep you ok.
However, doing a PLF on a freshly fertilized field could cause a problem.

Supposedly, unscented Tide is a good way to get the nitrates out.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

I'm pretty sure that one of the things that the machine is looking for is nitrates.

One of the ingredients of gun powder is potassium nitrate.

I would bet that if gun powder somehow contacted you rig, it would come up positive on the machine.

I think the right thing to do would be to wash your hands after shoothing, handling ammunition or cleaning your firearms, before you touch your rig.

Also, keep gun stuff away from your rig, ammunition or cleaning swabs/rags.

Also, consider contamination if you put this stuff in a trunk of a car. Residue in the trunk can cause cross contamination.

I would bet that if gun powder somehow contacted you rig, it would come up positive on the machine.

I think the right thing to do would be to wash your hands after shoothing, handling ammunition or cleaning your firearms, before you touch your rig.

thats kinda what I was thinking. I can't remember a specific time when i was target shooting all day and then went in a packed my skydiving shit. but it damn sure could have happened.
i have on occasion been accused of pulling low . My response. Naw I wasn't low I'm just such a big guy I look closer than I really am .

Talk to Iago...he had a swabbing that set things off and went through hoops until they figured out that the hand lotion he used was causing the alert.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Talk to Iago...he had a swabbing that set things off and went through hoops until they figured out that the hand lotion he used was causing the alert.

Many skin care products contain glycerin, which apparently can produce a false positive on the explosive detectors.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.