livetofly

closed endcells

I have been continually getting closed endcells on deployment. It is always on the left side and it always happens. I bought my canopy used and dont know if i this is something i can correct with packing or its just a characteristic of eliptical canopies. Any thoughts?

I doubt it has anything specifically to do with elliptical canopies. My old Manta 288 used to get end cell closure on every single jump, but even with only 7 cells fully inflated (7/9 of the canopy, or 224 of 288 square feet) my wingloading was still below 1:1.

i just looked up the stiletto, and as far as i can tell this is not a hybrid, correct? is this the canopy you're still jumping?
the reason i ask is because i also have this problem (student canopy-skymaster). mine is a zp/f111 hybrid and from what i gather off here, that's why mine does that. it fixes itself as soon as i do my control check, but might be something to consider.
for clarification, i am still on a student canopy, just curious if maybe that is why...

question: would a lower WL cause this? or is it more likely the fabric or something else is the cause?
i didn't lose my mind, i sold it on ebay. .:need a container to fit 5'4", 110 lb. cypres ready & able to fit a 170 main (or slightly smaller):.[/ce

I don't really have the experience to comment on the specific flight characteristics of specific canopies, so I'll leave that one alone.

There are a number of threads that have covered end cell closure in various situations:

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?do=search_results&search_forum=all&search_string=end+cell+closure&search_type=AND&search_fields=sb&search_time=&search_user_username=&sb=score&mh=25

i wouldn't be comfortable if the canopy i owned did that on every opening (once i dooooo own one!)
i read somewhere on here the fabric does make a difference and asked my instructor, and he confirmed it. but i wonder about wing loading...
i'll have to remember to ask!
i didn't lose my mind, i sold it on ebay. .:need a container to fit 5'4", 110 lb. cypres ready & able to fit a 170 main (or slightly smaller):.[/ce

My Stiletto occasionally opens with closed end cells, but it's always symmetrical.

What are you doing to the nose when you pack it?

On mine, I leave the nose alone and just quarter the slider and have fantastic openings.
Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™

My Stiletto occasionally opens with closed end cells, but it's always symmetrical.

What are you doing to the nose when you pack it?

On mine, I leave the nose alone and just quarter the slider and have fantastic openings.

I've been demoing a pilot 210 lately, loaded at about .9 and it always opens with the left end cells closed. So, I left the nose alone when packing it - same thing - left end cells closed on opening. I even rolled the nose OUT on the next few pack jobs to see if that made a difference. nope, still end cell closure. I guess it's inherent to the canopy. FWIW, I had the same experience on the same size sabre2 I demo'ed for a bit.

Its not a deal breaker though - just hold it in brakes, they inflate and the fun begins. I really like that pilot :)
Scars remind us that the past is real

Performance Designs discusses the common occurrence of end cell closure in their FAQ section. A ram air canopy opening with a delayed inflation of the end cells is very common and is usually not a problem. If it is always on the left side it could possibly be a result of improper line trim, or it could just be a fluke. Here is a link to the FAQ for more info. http://www.performancedesigns.com/faq.htm#a1
Blue Skies,
Adam
I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things . . . — Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Same as bdbrown reply
I have a sabre2 170 and get end cell closure on every jump...apparently that's just the nature of the canopy.
I have soft openings and if end cell closures produce a soft opening, then it's A OK with me.

It's not a characteristic of Stilettos to do that, so I would guess that something is slightly out of trim. However, if it flys straight both before and after you pump open the end cells, I don't know if I would worry too much. There was an '80's canopy called the Unit that always had closed end cells and a hung up slider on every jump. But it was very reliable. I made 1000 or so jumps on them and never had to chop one.