schmit.paul

Dealing with surgery and physical therapy

Hi guys,

I'm a new A-license holder and am hoping to get as many jumps in as I can in the near future to try to keep the momentum and learning going full speed ahead. Unfortunately, I just found out a couple weeks ago that I have a recurring tear in my right shoulder that's going to require a second, more serious surgery (first surgery was 4.5 years ago) that will likely put me out of commission for at least 4-5 months starting in June before I can safely skydive again. However, I'm doing my best to stay focused in the meantime and get better at the maneuvers and techniques I can do safely without any negative response from my injured shoulder, and I'm trying not to think about my upcoming forced hiatus until I absolutely have to, as right now I feel like I can continue growing as a skydiver in useful and productive ways.

My question is, how many of you have had to deal with injuries (either skydiving- or non-skydiving-related, mine happens to be a non-skydiving injury), what did you do during your rehab to keep yourself sharp, and what was it like coming back to the sport?

Thanks guys!
"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than knowledge." ---Charles Darwin

When I had 19 jumps I broke my collarbone in a non skydiving injury.
I found this website.
I saved money and bought my brand new rig that I still jump today (although I have downsized since then)
I watched skydiving movies before there was "skydivingmovies.com"
I live 3.5 hours away from my home dropzone so I didnt get a chance to go hang out.

I just dealt with life and enjoyed it the best I could while My collarbone healed.
It took 7 months before I could jump again.

I saved enough money that I could go through skydive university with my AFFI/Rigger so I could feel safe again.

that was 9 years ago and 1250+jumps ago.
The SKY WILL ALWAY BE THERE. don't risk your safety for ONE MORE JUMP.

I also moved to Korea for a year shortly after I healed. there was no skydiving there, either.
When I returned to the states I resumes skydiving.

THE SKY WAS STILL THERE WHN I GOT HOME;)

My photos

My Videos

I've had 3 pretty long layoffs due to lung collapses and subsequent surgery. I wasn't at the dz every weekend, but still went out fairly regularly, so was around the sport and people to discuss things with, as well as staying abreast of issues in forums on here (especially Safety & Training and Incidents), and read Parachutist articles and incident reports ... anything that helped keep EP's, rw techniques, etc. active in my mind and not relegated to a dusty corner of it. It can't keep you current, but at least helps, I think. You can still do dive flows, EPs and such in your head just as you normally would if you were jumping regularly. I'm not a big video person, but also have heard that watching/analyzing videos can help you actually improve skills more quickly once you return (you are able to see things you want to do/try).
As long as you are happy with yourself ... who cares what the rest of the world thinks?

Ask me in a few months. Had surgery late October for rotator cuff, labrum, glenoid. Not skydiving related injury, did it many years ago first time waterskiing (and last), but was making skydiving painful and had to get it fixed. It's been a long road back. 3-1/2 months later and I still only have limited use of the arm. Seems to be taking forever. Hopefully will be back in-shape by May, so will be pretty much like a typical winter jumping down-time.

I stay current by drinking heavily on Saturday nights, building a bonfire in the back yard, and running around naked. Then I go upstairs, rip a big fart and yell "Eat, Fuck Skydive!!!"

I stay current by drinking heavily on Saturday nights, building a bonfire in the back yard, and running around naked. Then I go upstairs, rip a big fart and yell "Eat, Fuck Skydive!!!"

:D:D:D Oh the fun! Im lucky im staying curent in other ways!
Nothing opens like a Deere!

You ignorant fool! Checks are for workers!

haha, that's some funny shit man! Actually, I'm looking at a nearly completely torn labrum ("around the world" as my surgeon put it) in my right shoulder, much, MUCH worse than the first labral tear I had fixed 4 and a half years ago. It was racquetball that did it the first time, but basketball this time around...though really it was from being body checked and falling hard with a locked elbow that did it...and now I realize I should *always* be ready to PLF, skydiving or not! :P Did your surgeon go arthroscopic, or did they have to open you up? Did they try any of the glenoid reshaping, or just suture everything down?

And I think I'm gonna take that motto to heart, though admittedly the heavy dose of Percoset during post-op recovery really kills my urge to do one of those 3 things...I'll let you all figure out which one it might be. Thanks for the responses! I hate being less than 100%...

I had surgery on my right knee in July after a bad landing. I had a new ACL put in, MCL and Lateral Meniscus repair. 10 days after my surgery and the stitches were out I started water therapy.....this was before I saw my physical therapist, but I knew what exercises I could do and not do. I was non-wt bearing for 4 weeks and lost a lot of my muscle and I would say that was the most difficult part for me. To stay sharp I went out to the DZ, watched people jump and land, read a lot of articles and did physical therapy every day wether it was in the gym or at the PT office. I got back in the air just over 3 months after the surgery which is not typical, but my recovery is credited to the fact that I am an honery bitch and the fact that I had a driving force.

getting back in the air was almost as good as sex. My hubby was very nervous about it. I upsized my canopy by two sizes and I have to wear a special brace when I jump at least for the next year or two. I am still on a canopy that is one size higher than what I had been jumping before the injury to protect the knee and I have learned to land differently.

Good luck!;)

DPH # 2
"I am not sure what you are suppose to do with that, but I don't think it is suppose to flop around like that." ~Skootz~
I have a strong regard for the rules.......doc!

yeah, i lost about 15 pounds of muscle over the 6-week immobilization period following my first shoulder surgery, to the point where the right side of my body looked a little comical compared to the left, and this was *in spite* of the fact that I still went into the gym during this period and did cardio and some make-shift leg workouts. Being dependent on other people to some extent with my dominant arm completely incapacitated and losing my physique was a tremendous blow to the ego...but I guess in a similar vein as you I hit the PT hard and got my ass back in shape as fast as I could. Just too bad I had to keep doing stupid shit to reinjure it again! But hey, I guess muscle atrophy is as good as upsizing when I come back :P Hope the knee's treating you well, surgery is definitely no fun, this summer's gonna be torture...

3 weeks after my surgery for my tib/fib i was back at the dz on my crutches. it was difficult though! I had to learn to drive with my left foot! I worked full time manifest throughout my recovery and even did most of my PT on the dropzone, it made it much more bearable to be around the sport, around my "family" they all supported me and cheered me on as I slowly began weightbearing and pushing myself to recover. I don't know what I would have done if I hadn't been able to be at the dz.

The best thing you can do is keep a positive attitude, no matter how bad you feel, do you physical therapy and surround yourself with people who will be supportive and help you!

The best feeling was making my first jump back and having everyone lined up on the lz cheering me on as I plf'd my landing!!

yeah, i lost about 15 pounds of muscle over the 6-week immobilization period following my first shoulder surgery, to the point where the right side of my body looked a little comical compared to the left, and this was *in spite* of the fact that I still went into the gym during this period and did cardio and some make-shift leg workouts. Being dependent on other people to some extent with my dominant arm completely incapacitated and losing my physique was a tremendous blow to the ego...but I guess in a similar vein as you I hit the PT hard and got my ass back in shape as fast as I could. Just too bad I had to keep doing stupid shit to reinjure it again! But hey, I guess muscle atrophy is as good as upsizing when I come back :P Hope the knee's treating you well, surgery is definitely no fun, this summer's gonna be torture...

The knee is doing very well. I have 40 jumps on my new knee. It is a lot stronger now than it was 3 months ago when I got back in the air. At least you were still able to do cardio ---- I was stuck doing nothing. I think the atrophy was actually worse than the surgery itself as I was having such bad spasm. Getting back in the air was my drive.......it is definitely a good motivating factor.;)
DPH # 2
"I am not sure what you are suppose to do with that, but I don't think it is suppose to flop around like that." ~Skootz~
I have a strong regard for the rules.......doc!

Yeah, it was nice to get the heart rate up when I was feeling like such crap being so sedentary, but I suspect the cardio actually sped up some of the atrophy...nothing like wasting a bunch of precious calories doing a long, repetitive task to tell your body "hey, maybe I should get rid of some of the stuff that's wasting all the energy!" Try as we might to trick our bodies in the gym, in the end we are organisms built for survival, and if that means economizing muscle tissue to conserve energy, then so be it. This is why marathon runners tend to be so gangly, whereas sprinters tend to be pretty damn bulky. Marathon runners just don't need any more than what they've got to get the job done efficiently. (can you tell I used to work at a gym? ;) )

That sucks you were getting spasms, did you get to do anything with your leg while you were non-weight-bearing?...it is REALLY weird having a completely useless limb for a while. If I took my arm out of the sling (to shower for instance) and did anything other than let it hang, the pain was pretty horrific due to the precarious location of the surgery...in fact, just the weight of my arm hanging there would pull at the surgical wound in the back of my shoulder capsule and make me rush through the shower to get back in the sling.

I had back surgery,knee surgery and 2 severe head traumas(sud arachnoid bleeds) I lived on this site.I prcaticed packing and bought and sold gear,and hung out at the DZ
Bry
--------------------------------------------------
Growing old is mandatory.Growing up is optional!!

D.S.#13(Dudeist Skdiver)

Although I have not had to deal with it myself there seems to be a line between pushing too hard too fast and not pushing hard enough.

Make sure you're really ready to get back in the air. This doesn't mean "If I have a perfect jump..." it means ready for any malfunction, a hard opening, running it out, and or PLFing.

I had a friend that had a couple of reserve rides because of shoulder issues. [:/] He converted his BOC to left and is fine now though. :)

Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

Absolutely. Just grounded myself this weekend getting over a fever, don't like to go out and take any more risks than what comes with the turf already. Actually skydiving has seemed to be much easier on my shoulder than many of the other activities i participate in, so it's been one of the only physical activities (besides weight lifting) that I've been able to do without much worry. But rest assured, I won't be back up in the air until my strength and range of motion is back to normal.

Interestingly enough, in the meantime I've found I have the flexibility in my right arm to reach back and throw while maintaining stability, while putting my right hand over my head to stabilize while throwing with the left would probably not work so well (labral tears put the shoulder at its most vulnerable position with the arm raised completely above the head). So I've lucked out in a way, and haven't had any problems.

I had a tib/fib/ankle fx many years ago. It happened in October and I was non weight bearing until December at which time I had a second surgery to remove some hardware and allow me to bear weight.

Luckily it was winter in Indiana and not a lot of jumping going on. But I did hobble around the DZ every weekend just to hang out and watch and be a part of it. I did go up in co-pilot seat of King Air a few times. It was a blast and later fueled my desire to someday become a pilot.

After my second surgery in December I start PT and made my first jump back in January. It was cold, I planned on butt sliding in and everything was fine. Probably not the smartest thing to do... but when your a junkie your a junkie!
Kim Mills
USPA D21696
Tandem I, AFF I and Static Line I