SivaGanesha

coach jumps or solo jumps?

.... Skydiving provides a free coach to every AFF Graduate on each and every jump until they receive their A License.

what is 'free'

0 - free jump (:S)
1 - student pays for their slot only
2 - student pays their slot + coach slot
3 - student pays their slot + coach slot + coach pack
4 - student pays their slot + coach slot + coach pack + (gratuity is rather vigorously encouraged)

I've heard people argue vigorously for each of these "REALLY" being what they considered free with the "pay to jump" profeesionals moving to the bottom of the list arguing about the extent of their time, missed pay opportunities, gear maintenance, etc. and how "free" really means they only get paid their 'minimum' allowance to jump with someone plus slot and pack.

(it also seems that the farther down the list a pro considers 'free' - there's a correlation to them starting tipping threads too :o:o:ph34r:)

I don't much care, but when someone offers "free" they need to be specific

When I did free jumps with newbies, I paid my own slot and packed my own rig. Anything above that I consider not free. It might be 'reasonable', but it's not free.

coaching now? It's free if I feel like it - it's fun for me still and that's how I was trained. I'll take slot for it if I don't want to really jump at that time, though - I've had staff wake me up from a nap and note someone really needs help on "this load". But if that's the case, then that jump is 100% focused on the student, with a thorough pre-brief, post brief, and a discussion on following progression and what to do next.

Choice #1. Student only pays for his own slot. DZ pays for Coaches slot. Jumps are $24 to 14,500'. Student pays $24, goes to 14,500' with a Coach who briefs him prior to the jump, jumps with him, debriefs him after the jump, and makes sure the student's A Card is filled in appropriately.

Is that specific enough?

Mike Mullins
West Tennessee Skydiving

If you will come to our DZ, we would be glad to provide a free coach.

Mike Mullins
www.SkydiveKingAir.com

Thanks Mike! I'm in California so it is a bit far to travel to Tennessee on short notice :)
"It's hard to have fun at 4-way unless your whole team gets down to the ground safely to do it again!"--Northern California Skydiving League re USPA Safety Day, March 8, 2014

Choice #1. Student only pays for his own slot. DZ pays for Coaches slot.

That's what I'd call an honest use of the term 'free'

I bet it's a good business decision too, over the longer run

wasn't picking on you specifically, you should see some of posts on the topic of "free" on these threads

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Choice #1. Student only pays for his own slot. DZ pays for Coaches slot.

That's what I'd call an honest use of the term 'free'

I bet it's a good business decision too, over the longer run

wasn't picking on you specifically, you should see some of posts on the topic of "free" on these threads

I understand, no offense taken.

Blue skies,
Mike Mullins

Based on my few years in the sport, here is what I would try.

Buy a case of good beer. Keep it in a cooler in your car so that it is "ice cold". Do not just bring it in to the packing area.

Spend a couple of hours on the ground watching the jumpers and ascertain who you think might be the best jumpers on the DZ (other than instructors)

At the end of jumping while people are packing up or sitting around the fire, find two or three of those people.

Approach them and say something like "you know I've noticed that you seem to be one of the best jumpers on this DZ and people seem to respect you. Could I ask you a few questions? Oh and BTW would you like a beer?" and hand them a cold one.

You can make up the rest from there but I bet you will have plenty of people to jump with after that.

If not find a DZ with more people like those on this thread.

BTW I have never charged anything to jump with someone. Not even my slot.

I also disagree with those who say a solo is a waste. I still make solo jumps to practice body position, side slides and center point turns.

If you can only afford solos and you can't find someone with whom to jump, then it beats the hell out of sitting on the ground.
Be the canopy pilot you want that other guy to be.

Hey, all! I read this post and that is a great idea asking some of the more experienced jumpers for some skill honing. I'm a student myself I've got 11 jumps in and 3 static lines. My old dz sucked and treated students like shit. Where ever everyone is from on this post that is damned nice of you guys to treat new blood like that. Hopefully there are good peoples here in arizona. Thanks for posting that question and thanks for the info in the replies