Soozie

Speed!

There is nothing on guinessworldrecords.com about the fastest, but i remember seeing a show on the discovery channel a little while back about these freeflyers that had head down competitions to see who could go the fastest. If i remember correctly the club record was somewhere between 302 - 312mph.

Pineappe Death Juice, If you have to ask you'd rather not know!

what about the test pilot Joe Kittinger?

He is still the World Record Holder for Height & Speed.

Over 20-Miles up and reached Mach-1

http://home.att.net/~1.elliott/JOEKITTINGER.HTML

LATERS,

KRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMER!!!!!!!!!!!!! B|
The REAL KRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMER!

"HESITATION CAUSES DEATH!!!"
"Be Slow to Fall into Friendship; but when Thou Art in, Continue Firm & Constant." - SOCRATES

Cheryl Sterns is going to attempt to break the existing altitude record, and in the mean while they estimate she could attain a speed of 1.3 Mach (885 mph).

StratoQuest is a World Record High Altitude Sky Dive Attempt and Research Project. Cheryl Stearns will attempt to break the current world sky dive record of 102,800 by ballooning to 130,000 and safely parachuting in a pressurized space suit to the earth's surface.

This is scheduled to happen in March 2005.

http://www.stratoquest.com

Rylord
Kentucky Skydiving Center

That is still a debate.

Yep. Its the way I pesonally see it.

I personally think counting tandem jumps as freefall comes under a different set of restrictions: you're not attempting to break or set a record when doing a tandem.

Again, this isnt taking anything away from the jump in my eyes. Its amazing this record still stands so long after its been set.

As far as the Mach 1 speed, that is also a debate....
Remster

Try this site - [url]http://www.speedskydiving.net/2000/speedskydivers.php

It claims that the fatest recorded is 524.13 Kph or 327.6mph.

Now that's impressive.
B|

after 2000 the way speed measured was changed. more accurate data can be found on
speedskydiving.com also the speed is actually averaged over 1000 meters and over 2
pro-tracks, not maximum.

stan.

--
it's not about defying gravity; it's how hard you can abuse it. speed skydiving it is ...
Speed Skydiving Forum

Sweet!! Good to see ya on the forums!!

Hey, check out my site, the last two pages of the 2003 Fun Jump pics have some of you!! B|

[inside joke] By the way, the fastest ever recorded was a girl doing flips in a tuck!! :P [/inside joke]

Wrong Way
D #27371 Mal Manera Rodriguez Cajun Chicken Ø Hellfish #451
The wiser wolf prevails.

well what is the avg head down free fall speed? 180-200?

Wow, good question!! Anyone?

Define "head down". Depending on the amount of surface you present to the wind while flying headfirst towards the ground, the speeds can range from less than the freefly "sweet spot", which is around 150 (actually, I have no idea what's the slowest you can go on your head, I mention this only to illustrate it better) to the record 330 mph. So talking about average speed can be a bit tricky.

Define "head down". Depending on the amount of surface you present to the wind while flying headfirst towards the ground, the speeds can range from less than the freefly "sweet spot", which is around 150 (actually, I have no idea what's the slowest you can go on your head, I mention this only to illustrate it better) to the record 330 mph. So talking about average speed can be a bit tricky.

Say while tracking.......

As far as the Mach 1 speed, that is also a debate....

Feasibly he could have...the researchers estimated his speed to be between 614mph and 714mph during his decent. Where he exited in the stratosphere the speed of sound is about 676mph, which decreses until he hits the tropopause at about 65 thousand feet, where the speed of sound is about 660mph. The speed of sound is constant through the tropopause at 660mph, then begins to increase once he hits the troposphere at about 35 thousand feet. The speed of sound at his opening alt of 17.5 is about 714mph. So his best chance to hit Mach 1 would have been while he was falling through the tropopause, but the range they estimated his speed at leaves it undetermined as to whether or not he really did break the sound barrier on the jump.
Miami

Well, the freefly "sweet spot" as it was put in a previous post is around 150-155. This should be the average, otherwise you're going too fast. I was told by a badass freeflyer that you want to be able to go slow on your head, for a few reasons. 1. To be versitile and fly with sitflyers 2. because at lower speeds you have more (not much, but you notice a difference between 150 and 170, trust me) freedom to move your other limbs without moving around.

So in essence, 155 would be about "average" IMHO.

Wrong Way
D #27371 Mal Manera Rodriguez Cajun Chicken Ø Hellfish #451
The wiser wolf prevails.