Ibew102

2 out on 2 different rigs in a row, why?!

While doing a coach jump for his a license, on retal gear, manta 240 jav container.. gear and pin checked 3 times, with a non eventful skydive, no wwf style flying, upon pitching the pilot chute the reserve followed right behind him. Vigil never fired, the coach saw no misplacement of his hands, and both handles tossed and gone..

Yesterday while doing his 1st (beer) A license jump, again as he pitched the reserve followed right behind it, but this time on a 230 jav, this time it took both hands to cutaway and reserve handle wasnt pulled.

He is about 230pds and 6ft..

The reserve cord had a kink in it where the rsl was.. question is.. how does the happen? I watched him from above and watched him wave and pull, his hands were out in neutral position and in no way did his fingers or thumbs get in the rsl, like we have thought the first time..

I tried to give as many facts as possible and has us all stumped, any info or related stories of the same would be helpful..

Thank You
6 in 2 out

The reserve cord had a kink in it where the rsl was.. question is.. how does the happen?

..........................................................................................

The RSL ring pulls directly on the reserve ripcord cable, forcing it to bend in a tight radius. Most of the time this kinks the cable.
RSLs rarely seriously damage ripcord cables. As long as there are no broken strands, the ripcord cable can return to service. The only disadvantage is slight increase in pull force.
For cosmetic reasons, most skydivers then order a replacement ripcord to be installed at the next repack. Then they keep the old - kinked - ripcord as a spare.

Already talking about it here http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=3662355;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread

The ripcord will get kinked by the RSL when he cuts away the main even with the reserve already out if the ripcord cable is still threaded through the rings. RSL still pulls the cable. I still can only think that these rigs have expandable housings and his size is stretching them beyond the length of the cable. See if he can pull them by arching hard or hanging in a the harness on the ground.

As in the other thread I have seen rigs worn by bigger people that stretched the harness and housing far enough to pop the pin. Hard to believe it's happening on two different rigs.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Where in the plane is he sitting, in both jumps? Same plane, same seat?

I had my reserve PC go pop while sitting in the cargo compartment of a Twin Otter (a few DZ's have open cargo compartments for 2 additional jumpers). It was a snag, an edge that pushed the pin upwards out, when I sat against it.

Would the container pin check show if a reserve pin was more than halfway out? (Some seem to not make this obvious in a pin check). The jumper's specific physique in a specific seating position might be somehow causing the reserve pin to slide even 80% of the way out?

Or is the closing loop loose while this heavy guy wears the rig? (Although I am no rigger, check closing loop tension while the guy wears the rig?).

Regardless, when pulling the main, a loose reserve pin may be sliding out when a heavy guy pulls, it flexes the whole container to the point where a sub-optimal situation of closing loop tension and pin position, allows the pin to suddenly release when faced with the simultaneous snatch force and release of packtray tension, combined with a heavy guy...

This MAY be wrong speculation and a wild herring, but a chime-in based on my one-time personal experience in an unusual/unfamiliar seating position. Worth verification?

(Please take me with a grain of salt. I'm giving a fresh mind's perspective)

I started it on the other thread but my computer closed, i didnt think it took it...

Yes this happened at STL, and yes it was the same guy...
We all came up with the same conclusion of size of jumper to rig.. but we were wondering if it has ever happened some where else... or if it was common...

Thank you for you help... will keep everyone updated if we ever figure it out
6 in 2 out