npgraphicdesign

Custon hand-lettering on helmets?

A friend asked me to hand-letter a quote on his helmet. I'm a graphic designer by trade, but have never dealt with hand-lettering anything onto a helmet.

This is the helmet:
http://www.tonfly.com/Helmet-Solar-Converter-Top_1852407.html

If any of you have done any hand-lettering on helmet, would you be able to PM me or post some examples here? I am looking for a bit of advice on types of paints to use, how to transfer the hand-lettering onto the helmet, etc. Would love to see some examples and hear some advice. I can hand-letter the quote on paper easily, but don't want to screw it up on the helmet itself and have to buy another one. :D

Thanks fellow skydivers/artists! B|

...hmmmm, I have no idea honestly, but maybe you could try calling the manufacturer. Out of all of the people in the world, they would be able to give you the skinny on what type of paint/finish they use and what will mix well with it... I've wondered the same thing though, I'm thinking about customizing my factory diver. best of luck!! :)

I used to have auto shops with the vinyl cutters do custom stuff for my fire helmet. Might work and you wouldn't have the heat issues that I dealt with

I was thinking of making a stencil out of vinyl, then pasting it on the helmet, painting over it, and then simply peeling it off...

Do you have any examples of what you've done? would love to see it

I did this paint job a couple weeks ago with rattle cans of automotive paint and masking tape.

- Scuff helmet with Scotch-Brite pad
- Coat of primer/sealer
- Silver paint
- Mask center stripe, white paint
- Mask pinstripes, red paint
- Loving rubdown with 1500 grit wet/dry paper to even out paint levels on striping
- 4 coats of clear

Warning: it will take around a week with all the waiting and curing to do it right.

There is (was) a guy in Raeford, NC who does custom work. Kate (Raefordite) has him do hers. She jumped the one I had then I put 500+ jumps on it and now the thing is floating around Palatka.

It looked like he used acryllic paint pens to do some of the work. It was REALLY pretty as it had sparkle paint as the base coat. I know from being around a paint store that the primer and the top coats (Yes, I said plural) are the most important.

FYI...keep a can of Goo Gone(tm) or Goof Off (tm) handy if you do make a mistake. It will remove any goofs.

--
Hot Mama
At least you know where you stand even if it is in a pile of shit.