stacybeth40

should I wait till spring to start an IAF course?

Hi there! I did my very first tandem jump a week and a half ago and LITERALLY haven't thought about anything except being in the sky....I mean, work is really taking a back seat to all this daydreaming! Anyway, I've decided I want to do the IAF course, but I live in NY and weather will become an issue here shortly. (Boooo[:/]). My question is: should I start now and get in as many jumps/lessons as possible now or wait till the spring and start fresh?
Thanks for any advice!
Help me kick breast cancer's BUTT!
Visit my Avon Walk website:
www.avonwalk.org/goto/stacybeth

Congratulations on your jump. :)
It is my opinion that you are better off waiting until spring. I think it's better to get your training started and completed in one shot, rather than have interruptions or hiati.

Save your money - about $1500 - for the course and jumps to A license. After that, you have your skydiving future ahead of you. When spring arrives, you will spend a lot of time at the DZ, learning and jumping.

You can spend the off-season preparing by reading the SIM and The Skydivers Handbook.

$.02 Good luck!!

"Even in a world where perfection is unattainable, there's still a difference between excellence and mediocrity." Gary73

Congratulations on your jump. :)
It is my opinion that you are better off waiting until spring. I think it's better to get your training started and completed in one shot, rather than have interruptions or hiati.

Save your money - about $1500 - for the course and jumps to A license. After that, you have your skydiving future ahead of you. When spring arrives, you will spend a lot of time at the DZ, learning and jumping.

You can spend the off-season preparing by reading the SIM and The Skydivers Handbook.

$.02 Good luck!!

Grats! and if youre gonna save up for the spring, may as well save enough to get through school and a first rig, since that will be the logical next step. :)
Thanatos340(on landing rounds)--
Landing procedure: Hand all the way up, Feet and Knees Together and PLF soon as you get bitch slapped by a planet.

Hey - thank you for the advice! I kind of figured it'd be smarter to wait till spring but I was hoping someone would tell me about the super-turbo-accelerated IAF course that I could finish by the end of October....oh well.....
And I guess it wouldn't make sense to get through all of it then not be able to practice everything I just learned.
I'll just start saving my pennies.....but MAN, it's going to be a long winter if I can't get my head out of the clouds (literally!).
By the way - how much does a 'starter' rig cost?

Thanks again! :)

I love your answer!!! But I didn't even think most DZ's in the northeast were operating in the winter? But you're making me very happy, if they do indeed stay open! I guess I should look into that....I just assumed they'd close up shop.....

Yeah come to florida! We got lots of great places evidently, ive only been to one(just starting as well), and loved it, but the other 2 are extremely highly recommended as well.

Oh and for the record i never said to wait, i jsut said if you were you might wanna save for a rig as well ;) my offifial answer is start now, and come to florida, where the cool people are, HAHA. B|

Landing procedure: Hand all the way up, Feet and Knees Together and PLF soon as you get bitch slapped by a planet.

Okay - I'm gonna quit my job, :o take out my 401K :o, start jumping here in NY till it gets too cold, [:/] then head down to Florida and spend all winter jumping till my $ runs out! :S Yeah - I've got it all figured out!! ;)

Okay - I'm gonna quit my job, :o take out my 401K :o, start jumping here in NY till it gets too cold, [:/] then head down to Florida and spend all winter jumping till my $ runs out! :S Yeah - I've got it all figured out!! ;)

whats a 401K?:D:D:D

SOUNDS LIKE A PLAN! I just wish i was cool enough to have a job to quit :( HAHA

EFIT: Better plan, just quit and come to florida now, THEN start jumping, since its where youll end up anyway B|:)

I think all NY'ers eventually get old and move to FL so I probably WILL end up there...but not yet! Acutally - we are gonna be in Daytona for Bike Week - any DZ's in that area?

I think I'll just schedule my next jump right now and talk to the instructors about how far into the fall/winter I could realistically be at it....

And thanks again for all the good/crazy/fun advice!
Good night!! :)

I think all NY'ers eventually get old and move to FL so I probably WILL end up there...but not yet! Acutally - we are gonna be in Daytona for Bike Week - any DZ's in that area?

I think I'll just schedule my next jump right now and talk to the instructors about how far into the fall/winter I could realistically be at it....

And thanks again for all the good/crazy/fun advice!
Good night!! :)

Yeah, the 3 i was talking about are all within a few hours drive of Daytona. Im only an hour and a half from daytone, actually come to think of it Skydive Deland, should be right near there, within an hour. you can ask Skymama im 99% sure thats her home DZ.

I did two tandems in August--fell madly in love. Can't think about anything else, constantly looking up at the sky, boring anyone who'll listen, etc.

I'm waiting until spring for AFF. I live in the Pacific NW, where the weather starts sucking in October and doesn't let up until June. I want as many jumps as possible under my belt before I start working around the weather 90% of the time. Muscle memory is my friend.

Hi there! I did my very first tandem jump a week and a half ago and LITERALLY haven't thought about anything except being in the sky....!

Answer's simple - marry me. You'll stay warm enough to jump all winter.
Every fight is a food fight if you're a cannibal

Goodness is something to be chosen. When a man cannot choose, he ceases to be a man. - Anthony Burgess

I choose to start in the fall, knowing that I may jump through the winter (I am in VA, so a bit warmer than you and my DZ is open weekends all year round).

I'm still trying to get my 2nd jump in. One student at the DZ started after me, though and was trying to get his final check dive in last weekend. Not sure if he has it by now. You can get through the AFF fast depending on circumstances. I am not that interested in rushing and I don't mind the cold.
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

YEAH!!!!! I just made reservations for my 2nd jump!!!! Woooohoooo!!!!! (I just couldn't wait till spring!) :)

CONGRATS!! i had to push my AFF training back for a little bit, in order to play a paintball tourney, but oh well. gotta make tough choices sometimes, lol. hopefully ill be able to start soon. :)