theonlyski

Letter from Sunrise Manufacturing International... WTF??

Today I got a letter from Sunrise...

"Congratulations on your 'A' License!!!

Now is the time to get new gear and we here at Sunrise would like to help!!! ..."

Did anyone else get this letter? Besides it being almost a year late, how the hell did they get my address?
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

i got that one too! :)
But i just got my "A" :P

I thouhgt it was pretty nice of Sunrise to offer to help! Did you get the discount too?

Too bad i wont take them up on the offer.. maybe next time. :P

"In this game you can't predict the future. You just have to play the odds. "-JohnMitchell

I got the discount, and while I appreciate it, and might take them up on it if I didnt already have gear...

How the Fµ©ķ did they get my address??
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly

Lol I just got one too...I thought for a second it was because I got my B at Zhills, but then I realized it said congrats on your A....yea...I have no idea how they got my address....especially since ive only had this address for a month.
Zoo Crew

how the hell did they get my address?

Most likely from USPA.

I believe that one can opt out by contacting USPA.

http://www.uspa.org/Parachutist/Advertise/tabid/188/Default.aspx
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Besides it being almost a year late, how the hell did they get my address?

Hmmmm. Let's see, you got an A license and I bet you had to include your address so they knew where to mail it to, sooooo, I guess if you make a list of all the places you sent your address who knew you had an A license, that might be a good start.

How you narrow down the list is another story, and I'm not sure what to tell you about that. Good luck.

Hint - See if you also sent anyone on that list $55 recently for any reason.

I didnt think that USPA would sell my information to whoever had the cash.

Little did I know...B|

Hush little girl

Dont make me come down there!

And I ended up getting both magazines, They are pretty good about sending them out if you tell them, quick turn around too!

DUDE. Going to Ft Benning for Airborne does NOT equal coming to Ft Rucker to make me shut up.

If I drive from Benning to Rucker, it does.;)

Besides, I know how to make you shut up from all the way over here... Its called not fixing your computer again!:P

I think you've smartened up and wrote the info down... damnB|

I didnt think that USPA would sell my information to whoever had the cash. Little did I know...

Unfortunately they will. Apparently it is an "opt-out" list (as marked on your renewal form) rather than an "opt-n" list. (See the attached graphic excerpt from the membership app.)

And unfortunately this seems to be all too common in many organizations.

Now for one of my stories:

Believe it or not, this mail list can serve a positive purpose. I remember a DZO who used to purchase the list of recently A licensed skydivers near his drop zone. He sent them a free jump ticket to encourage them to visit. (Can't imagine that happening now days.)

Hi Gary and Everyone,

USPA does look at the stated purpose before they sell a mailing list. It is indeed easy to opt out if you prefer. I will take the discounts and if I don't want them, it is pretty easy to trash them.

Plus that sort of sale contributes to keeping our dues down.

Ed

how the hell did they get my address?

It is truly amazing that this question even needs to be asked. I guess some folks live rather insulated/isolated lives.

OF COURSE THE USPA SELLS YOUR NAME AND ADDRESS... JUST LIKE ANYONE ELSE WHO HAS THAT INFO AND CAN LEGALLY SELL IT.

I have no complaints about USPA selling the list... the organization needs $$$ to run and I would rather that they take it from advertisers than me!
The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!

sounds like a slyride scheme to me. selling your info so another company can solicit business from you........dirty

Is that a joke? Mailing lists are sold all the time. You ever get a catalog you didn't ask for? Somebody sold a mailing list with your name on it.

The USPA form has an opt out box, as required by US law. Somebody even recently posted a picture of it.

Sure, I'd prefer an "opt in" box over an "opt out" box, but that's not a very common thing in my experience.

To the OP, its time to learn to read carefully before you sign things.

just because its done all the time doesnt make it right!
i could follow with a infinite list...but i will spare the space

I never said it was right.

In fact, I said that I would prefer "opt in" over "opt out".

So, I suspect that you and I actually agree on what would be the right way to do it.

But, just because you and I agree won't change the reality that "opt out" is the law of the land here in the USA. (Nawlins is in Loosyana, right?)

Do you think that the OP should, or should not, carefully read what he signs?

If you want to see who is selling your information to whom, put a different middle initial on each place that gets your information.

Or spell your name slightly differently.

Then watch to see which initial ends up on what catalog, direct mail solicitation or whatever.

You might be a little surprised.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo