hackish

Navajo jumpship questions...

My DZO's have been working hard for over a year on getting us a bigger jump ship. Finally it has happened with the purchase of a Navajo. It sure has been a good upgrade from a 182 widebody and I'm loving 12,500 in a decent number of minutes.

Now despite all the excellent improvements I am surprised a little by some of the drawbacks. It seems to me that the balance of the AC is not so good for skydiving. The door is pretty small and with 6 jumpers at the back of the AC the pilot pretty much has the yoke in the dash.

In other words you might be able to put 10 on the aircraft but you're not going to be able to launch more than a 6 way or the aircraft will tip over on jump run.

Is this AC as bad as the pilots describe or is that just par for the course? I never really gave a lot of thought to what those guys do up front when we've got 5-6 people dangling off the side of their aircraft...

Don't get me wrong, I'm very thankful for what the DZ has purchased and I know what sort of work this has taken them. I'm just looking for some insight into the aircraft and its operations.

-Michael

I had to look it up to see what it looked like. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piper_PA-31_Navajo

Needless to say, it reminded me of the Queen Air, which could be aptly named a flying death trap if one engine went out. Not saying the Navajo is one too. I don't know anything about it. However, with a small door like that, would suit a small DZ better that's focused on students and tandems, and small groups of skydivers. Sure, you could do a full plane load big way, if you don't mind getting strung way out like a Super Connie load exiting at 155 mph. :D

Gotta watch the shoulders going out the door when diving out.

"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I had to look it up to see what it looked like. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piper_PA-31_Navajo

now if billy has to watch his shoulders on exit. i bet i'd look like toothpaste coming out of a tube trying to get out of it:D
i have on occasion been accused of pulling low . My response. Naw I wasn't low I'm just such a big guy I look closer than I really am .

now if billy has to watch his shoulders on exit. i bet i'd look like toothpaste coming out of a tube trying to get out of it:D

I've fucked myself up twice trying to get out of a damn Twin Otter! :S:D I used to like being a late diver, but only on the tailgates. Nowadays I'm content to just hanging outside or just in the door.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

If he has the yoke full forward he needs to be flying faster on jump run. My bet is it will eat their lunch in cylinders in short order.

I believe jump run is done at about 105mph @ 12,700 MSL but I would have to ask again. I also believe they called for 15 degrees of flaps. Engine management has been a big topic of discussion and I know they're being run at well below maximum power output, especially since one is a light case engine. Low jump run speeds eats cylinders???

Some of the issue is that the pilots don't have a large number of hours on the type yet. It would be interesting to hear from Navajo jump pilots. I can point our pilots in this direction but I'm really just asking out of personal curiosity and not on behalf of anyone.

-Michael

If he has the yoke full forward he needs to be flying faster on jump run. My bet is it will eat their lunch in cylinders in short order.

I believe jump run is done at about 105mph @ 12,700 MSL but I would have to ask again. I also believe they called for 15 degrees of flaps. Engine management has been a big topic of discussion and I know they're being run at well below maximum power output, especially since one is a light case engine. Low jump run speeds eats cylinders???

Some of the issue is that the pilots don't have a large number of hours on the type yet. It would be interesting to hear from Navajo jump pilots. I can point our pilots in this direction but I'm really just asking out of personal curiosity and not on behalf of anyone.

-Michael

Is it 105 mph Indicated Airspeed, or is that what you're seeing on the GPS? And are we really talking MPH, or knots?

105 is pretty fast for jump run - but some planes need more speed like that (King Air, for instance). More speed would definitely help, but if he's already doing 105 mph (or worse knots) IAS, then the benefits of the extra speed might not be as great as the costs.

Not that low jump run speeds will eat cylinders - Its having 12 cylinders run hard for the jump operation (specifically, lots of high power, low airspeed climbing, followed shortly by low power, high airspeed descending)

I can't imagine a single engine turbine wouldn't be cheaper to operate, and give you more capability.

Ive got 500hrs flying PA31s and worked on them as an engineer for 5 years and it would not be a plane I would consider as a good jump ship. The centre of gravity problem is a very real one, you do run out of forward elevator when 6 are stacking up on the door. Engine operating procedures need to be very strict or you will crack cylinders and destroy the turbos. Turbo charged piston engines are not good for skydive ops, the costs of maintaining these engines alone not to mention undercarraige wear and tear would make this DZ operation very expensive. These aircraft are too old and parts are costly too.

D
Get busy living or get busy dying!

bfilarsky, I have no idea. It was second hand info. It could have even been knots. I assume it would be IAS but it doesn't feel bad when I'm in the door. Maybe a tad stiffer than a cessna 182 but on the 182 you're right in the prop blast.

Distabled, I can't comment on whether it will or won't be a good buy from a maintenance perspective. The aircraft was within the DZO's budget and I consider us lucky to have the machine for jumping.

In your experience was there ever a realistic way to get more than a 6 way out of a Navajo? I was a diver and stayed as far fore as I could until the aft diver was 1/2 way out of the door. The pilot said it was the max he was comfortable with so it was sort of like a 5 1/2 way from a balance perspective.

-Michael

Try typing 'Navajo' into the search box in the upper right hand corner. There's five pages of results, and only a handful are from this thread.

You should be able to find at least one or two DZs that have run Navajos as jumpships, and they would be the ones to aks for details on jump ops.

" ... I can't imagine a single engine turbine wouldn't be cheaper to operate, and give you more capability.

..."

................................................................................................

Cheaper direct operating costs? Yes!

More capability? Probably.

Much higher purchase price? YES!

The DZO probably bought that Navajo for not much more than a half-life Cessna 206 ... say $100,000.

Meanwhile, a single turbine (Caravan, Cresco, Kodiak, PAC 750, Porter, Turbo-Beaver, etc.) starts at around a million dollars.
Few Canadian DZs can pay off that kind of investment ... operating only six months out of the year.

" ... I can't imagine a single engine turbine wouldn't be cheaper to operate, and give you more capability.

..."

................................................................................................

Cheaper direct operating costs? Yes!

More capability? Probably.

Much higher purchase price? YES!

The DZO probably bought that Navajo for not much more than a half-life Cessna 206 ... say $100,000.

Meanwhile, a single turbine (Caravan, Cresco, Kodiak, PAC 750, Porter, Turbo-Beaver, etc.) starts at around a million dollars.
Few Canadian DZs can pay off that kind of investment ... operating only six months out of the year.

No doubt about it - if one can be leased, however, that seems like it would be a far better option than running 12 turbocharged jugs.

Try typing 'Navajo' into the search box in the upper right hand corner. There's five pages of results, and only a handful are from this thread.

You should be able to find at least one or two DZs that have run Navajos as jumpships, and they would be the ones to aks for details on jump ops.

Unfortunately of the 120 or so hits you get only a few are even about a Navajo as a jumpship and nothing I found really answered my questions. Thanks to a few people who contaced me off the forum with answers. I assumed correctly there would be a few lurkers with 500 or so hours on said aircraft.

Back on topic. Is this AC the best you can get for skydiving? Of course not. They do seem to require a lot of careful engine management and they do have CoG challenges plus a small door. If I had a few million spare then of course I'd love to buy a turbine. Perfect plane or not I'm getting 12,500 from the $35 that used to get me 10,500 out of a cessna and I'm getting up there a lot quicker with more friends to jump with.

-Michael

Make sure they keep up on maintenance, and lend an ear on run up. My dad's friend died about 1.5 years ago in this exact aircraft in Las Vegas, due to loosing one of the engines after takeoff. He was by himself, so not heavily loaded either. He owned an aircraft transport business, so had many many hours in all types of aircraft, I'm sure he did all he could. Anyways, not trying to scare you, but if the pilot says get out, get outta that sucker!

The CG isn't just for takeoffs and landings. My first corporate flying job was with a Navajo many years ago. I remember it as being pitch sensitive. Ask the pilot to run a weight and balance problem with several jumpers at the door "station" and see what happens. bg

I've had this discussion with the pilot on what to do if he stalls the stucker on jump run. His answer, get the @#$@# out of my plane. I have seen some aircraft with light signals for emergency exits, ie both lights flash. Since the lights are hard to see and not the ideal colours I may offer to build a set out of LEDs. So many ideas so little time....

-Michael

Needless to say, it reminded me of the Queen Air, which could be aptly named a flying death trap if one engine went out. .

Why? Flying like a brick with one engine? I did some jumps out of Queen Air, and that might be our solution for next year tandem jumpship...
dudeist skydiver #42

No question the cost associated with any turbine is a real issue. The current popularity of tandems is certainly one of the reasons these expensive planes are commonplace. But for the smaller DZ's that can't afford them, there is nothing wrong with a Queen Air. Its roomy since its a King air with pistons.

Its just that drivers of such planes like the Navajo, Queen Air as well as some of the older ships like the Beech 18 (Twin Beech) need to treat them like a 182 in the event of an engine failure while full of jumpers at low altitudes.

I have seen it time and time again and lost a few friends in 1992 when the pilot (also a friend) tried to keep it in the air when he could have easily slid into a field.

Just put it down where you can.

Another inexpensive plane with fairly decent numbers is the old Twin Bonanza.
You live more in the few minutes of skydiving than many people live in their lifetime

Another inexpensive plane with fairly decent numbers is the old Twin Bonanza.

I remember hearing those called "Twin tailed doctor killers" when getting my private..

Actually the twin bonanza has a single tail and you must be referring to the B-18 which is a pretty decent jump ship but those radials generally require a bit more maintenance.

As far as the Twin Bonanza (Model 50) also referred to as the "T Bone" goes, It a rugged airplane and this model led to the later Queen and King Air versions.

I am fairly familiar with the plane but looking it up I read; "During an initial demonstration flight for the Army, a Twin Bonanza crashed while trying to take off over a 50-foot (15 m) tree line while full of soldiers and sandbags. Everyone on board walked away from the crash. The Army was impressed with the structural strength of the Twin Bonanza and ordered more".
You live more in the few minutes of skydiving than many people live in their lifetime