gravityBad

reserve rides for sale

As a new jumper on #23 looking through the classifieds everyday for a first rig, I'm somewhat curious about the reserve ride #’s. Why would it make a difference whether the reserve was deployed zero, once, or whatever the case may be? I wouldn’t think the reserve would have a shelf life or only good for ___ rides.

What gives?

>What gives?

The primary wearout mechanism for reserves is number of repacks. Most reserves don't have "hard" limits, but PD limits their reserves to 40 repacks/25 deployments before it has to go back for inspection. So number of repacks is a much bigger issue than jump #'s.

Age isn't as much of an issue, but be warned that older designs do NOT fly like newer designs. If, for example, you are used to flying a Sabre2 135 and you buy a 20 year old Micro Raven 135 as a reserve, _and_ you don't learn how to fly the Micro Raven, you'll probably break something trying to land it.

In addition, some riggers will refuse to pack very old reserves.

What Billvon said, plus this:

Reserves are made of F-1-11, not Zero-P. The jumps actually wear out the fabric a little.

There's also the wear and tear caused by landing in some remote spot and having to trek back to the DZ through brush/woods/whatever.
The lines can get snagged, or caught on the velcro from the toggles. The canopy fabric can get snagged on obstaces or even just dragged across the ground.
An unjumped reserve would (theoretically) be in mint condition (other than packing wear).
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

The primary wearout mechanism for reserves is number of repacks.

Please forgive my ignorance, but are we talking about wearout mech as in 'flux capacitor' or by what fate could a 40 repack reserve have in store for a jumper? I might suspect an unknowing pending issue from 40+ main repacks from a noob like myself...i.e. possibly falling in the habit of doing something wrong and not knowing what to look for, but reserves are packed by qualified riggers. I think that would be the point of inspection for any obvious issues. How thorugh would PD check these reserves and what swould be done? Where is my thought process off?

That's why I always have a pull up chord in my container. If i land out I can stuff my canopy and lines in the container and close it. That makes it easier to traipse through Treacherous territory and avoid snagging my canopy or lines. Plus I have my hands free in case I have to crawl over under or through obstacles.

The primary wearout mechanism for reserves is number of repacks.

Please forgive my ignorance, but are we talking about wearout mech as in 'flux capacitor' or by what fate could a 40 repack reserve have in store for a jumper? I might suspect an unknowing pending issue from 40+ main repacks from a noob like myself...i.e. possibly falling in the habit of doing something wrong and not knowing what to look for, but reserves are packed by qualified riggers. I think that would be the point of inspection for any obvious issues. How thorugh would PD check these reserves and what swould be done? Where is my thought process off?

Note: I'm a fairly junior Senior Rigger. If my understanding of this is off, I would welcome correction.

The issue isn't real obvious or easy to see. It's a fabric issue.

F1-11 fabric is "calendered". The threads that make up the cloth are pressed flat after weaving to reduce the spaces between the weave, reducing permeability (how easily air passes through).

Manipulating the fabric during a repack disturbs the calendaring (flying it through the air does it more), making it less able to hold air.
It's referred to as a "ragged out" canopy. It is a common occurence with F1-11 main canopies. That's one reason they only last in the "hundreds" of jumps. Zero-P can last thousands if properly cared for.

There is no easy way for anyone without proper test facilities (like the manufacturer) to determine how much the fabric has been degraded.
That's why the PD reserves have to go back after 40 repacks or 25 uses.

Keep in mind that even under the old 120 day rule, 40 repacks is over 13 years if the reserve is kept constantly in date.
And my understanding is that PD has re-certified "40 pack" reserves for further use (don't know for how many more, just heard that they have done so).
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Reserves are made of F-1-11, not Zero-P. The jumps actually wear out the fabric a little.

And reserves aren't made of ZP because...?
Every fight is a food fight if you're a cannibal

Goodness is something to be chosen. When a man cannot choose, he ceases to be a man. - Anthony Burgess