kkeenan

Market for Expired CYPRES ?

I've got an "expired" one that I've been thinking of "flight testing" to see if the "rumor" that the Cypres cutter is really strong enough to cut 3/32 stainless a/c control cable.

Anyway, haven't gotten around to it yet, but what is your prediction of the results?

There is a video that has been going around the internet for some years of a CYPRES cutter doing exactly that.

I can't find the video right now; I think it was on skydivingmovies.com. There are before and after photos in a PDF file on Airtec's website:

http://www.cypres.cc/index.php?option=com_remository&Itemid=89&func=download&id=25&chk=c1d32ddfee0e0b37c0cb6793ba9523a7&no_html=1&lang=en

I've attached the after photo here.
"It's amazing what you can learn while you're not talking." - Skydivesg

so an expired cypres will still continue to function on a jump? I thought they disabled themselves or something and wouldn't work for jumping. And yes I know that you aren't lawfully allowed to use them outside the manufacturer required maintenance yada yada yada.....

I'm just curious if one could theoretically continue to use it as long as the battery lasts.
www.facebook.com/FlintHillsRigging

FWIW a couple of years back I was on a load in Russia with some guys who had put a rig with what I was told was a very expired AAD (not sure what make) on a dummy. They jumped out with it. Apparently the AAD fired as expected (and no I don't know whether it was at exactly the right height etc).

I am not sure what 'laws' prevent jumping with expired AADs though.

I'm NOT totally useless... I can be used as a bad example