Unstable

Where is he now - Dan Poynter...

Rob,

Is Eric's manual available in English? Without trying to use online translation?

Sorry, but Eric Fradet's (600 page) rigging manual is not available in english. Eric gave me the option of translating it, but I have been trying to decide if the market is large enough to justify the thousands of hours.

The good news is that Eric's technical dialect is very easy to understand, as easy to understand as Swiss-French dialects and vastly easier to translate than any Quebec newspaper.

Please note that any english-language version would first be offered on-line, like the original french-language version.

What is your opinion?

Any added reference would be good. The preamble actually translated pretty well in google. But the one 200 page portion was too large for google to run the translation.

I'd have to look at the content closer to see if it was worth officially translating. One issue in the U.S. is that the test questions on the FAA written rigger test MUST have a written reference for the right answer. Right now that's Dan's books, the FAA handbook, and PIA TS and TB documents. Another document would be good to have.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Your version of google translator ran better than mine.
Mine crashed before finishing the first part.
Which version of google translator are you using?

As for FAA test standards .. during CSPA Rigger A exams, the candidate must be able to show which book they found an answer in. If that book contradicts another book, they still pass that question.
How does the FAA handle contradictions between texts?

My question remains: is it worth a few thousand hours of my time to translate a - 600 page - manual from french to english?

Your version of google translator ran better than mine.
Mine crashed before finishing the first part.
Which version of google translator are you using?

As for FAA test standards .. during CSPA Rigger A exams, the candidate must be able to show which book they found an answer in. If that book contradicts another book, they still pass that question.
How does the FAA handle contradictions between texts?

My question remains: is it worth a few thousand hours of my time to translate a - 600 page - manual from french to english?

I just clicked on whatever google offered to translate the page that had the preamble.

For the written test, administered by computer, the FAA writes a question and bases the answer on a written reference. I don't know that in the past they looked for conflicts with other references. We are curently pointing out those alternative correct answers and having the questions fixed. For the oral and practical exams the DPRE's write their own questions and answers and include the reference. There isn't necessarily direct feedback that they are wrong, there may be. AFAIK it would be up to the DPRE to decide if an alternate answer was correct if justified by reference.

In other words for the written there are no contradictions. There is only one right answer until the FAA changes the test question. For the oral and practical, up to the DPRE.

Only you can determine if it is worth your time to translate it. It may be a matter of editing a computer translation. I would value having it available in English.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE