andyvaughn

DZ etiquette?

From that thread . . .--CReW: I have been told that my personality will fit in well among CReW dogs. (What exactly does that say about me?) . . .

That means you must have been really good at your cutaway EP's.:P

Hmmph! I had over a thousand crw jumps (comp 4-way sequential) before I had a cutaway from crw!

Not that I didn't cause any.....!

Jump more, post less!

Every DZ is a bit different.
search the threads about beer rules, I am sure you will find numerous conversations about this.
As for tipping search again, it had been beaten to death.

I am newer too and wondering about the etiquette, thanks for starting this OP.. and I have also had some trouble with the search not turning up the needed info, am bouncing my toddler back to sleep and killing time so for the sake of adding some relevant info, since it can take some time to track down at times (or maybe I just such at the search function, who knows.. lol) but searching 'tipping etiquette' turned up a bajillion posts from the non-skydiving forum on tipping for take-out food from a restaurant, and only one relevant thread, and searching a common word, just "tips," turned up everything from "packing tips, rigging tips, freeflying tips, etc. I imagine a search of "beer" would also turn up quite a few randoms.. It can be like wandering through a maze sometimes just finding basic info, because if you're new you might not know the search terms to use in the first place, or if common words are used it might bring up many irrelevant threads, not the info you need.. I am getting better, I think.. so, yeah, UTFSE (use the forum search engine) when you can of course, but to simplify, because I too need to look into this and have time to kill, and on my first post here someone took the time to answer my newbie questions which was cool, here's some others w/ relevant info:

TIPPING
http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=685597
http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=1096711
http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=557105

BEER
http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=2829443
http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=91583

GENERAL ETIQUETTE
http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=522040

HTH. Blue Skies!
------------------------------------

Also, on the general topic of this thread, are there any non-drinkers or alcoholics in recovery who have issue with the beer thing? Or those who just don't like beer? (That might get me ostracized but I both don't really drink anymore and don't like the taste of beer.. *hides*)

Obviously the main point is to socialize and connect and learn, and to share good will or thanks; I'd be more than comfortable buying beer for my instructor as a thanks or a round for new friends or whatever, no prob, but I will have a long drive and a kiddo to return to so it would be a rarer occasion when I could hang out after sundown and may not really want to drink the beer I buy for others..

I just remember when I got over my drinking and partying phase (alcohol actually upsets my stomach now if I have more than just a small amount, like a glass of wine) I got really annoyed being around bunches of drunk people.. it really does suck being the stone cold sober one in a crowd of revelers.

Am I going to feel really outnumbered and awkward if and when I ever stay after the last load, or is it more of a social drinking/lighter drinking atmosphere? I guess that may be really subjective- depending whether it is a DZ, big or small, type of vibe, DZOs, etc. or a boogie or big event, of course, I'd assume more hard partying.. just wondering if my lack of alcohol enthusiasm will be an issue, like I said no problems at all buying a round on occasion and having a glass of water and a chat, just know I won't be able to stay out late since I'll need to drive back most often, and that I don't want to feel like I used to feel when I was sober in a crowd of drunks.

Any others experience with choosing not to drink at the DZ to share, will it offend people if I turn down a beer or something (hope not, but it seems so ingrained in the culture, though again I know DZs' culture differs)?

And honestly my understanding is that some DZs that are very family oriented- i.e. where i am going, the owners (husband/wife) have 3 kids, youngest is an infant, have a playground and other kids' areas and encourage families, etc.) --do you think they even have that tradition-- do all DZs? Should I ask or just feel it out over time, I just don't know what to expect with that aspect..? I am pretty blunt so I don't have a problem just asking what the after-hours policies and activities are, I just have a hard time imagining a family with a small DZ with kids their ages would have bonfires and beer parties every night after skydiving all day... I just don't know, I guess I shall find out lol..

Finally, when people talk about spending the weekend, do they mean staying up all weekend? Camping (DZ provides it? Near-by?) Getting a hotel? What does that mean?

Hope I am not hijacking the thread, just didn't want to start a new one on the same topic/offshoot, and wanted to give those links in one easily organized place since I too have issues with the search not being straightforward sometimes, so there it is ;)
Tandem 4/4. FJC and AFF-2 completed 4/9. Rescheduled AFF-3 and 4 due to winds for this next weekend.

"Be the change you wish to see in the world..."

are there any non-drinkers or alcoholics in recovery who have issue with the beer thing? Or those who just don't like beer? (That might get me ostracized but I both don't really drink anymore and don't like the taste of beer.. *hides*)

See post #19 above. Or do a search! ;)

when people talk about spending the weekend, do they mean staying up all weekend? Camping (DZ provides it? Near-by?) Getting a hotel? What does that mean?

Depends on the DZ - some offer/allow on-site camping/crashing, some don't. Best to call the DZ ahead of time (or look at their website) and find out what's up.

You are really over thinking the whole thing. The beer rules are a tradition of sorts, but by no means a requirement. You could easily substitute any sort of refreshment or even a food item of some kind if you want to carry on with 'tradition', or just bring nothing and watch nobody notice or really care one way or the other.

I think the beer rules are related to the fact that many jumpers are young, male, and likely to drink beer, and the majority of skydiving is done on hot summer days.

Again, hanging out is entirely up to you. If your life doesn't permit it, then so be it. If you have the time, give it a shot, however, keep in mind that the later you stay, the drunker people will get, and who knows what will happen after that. If you're not a drinker, then it might get old real quick.

As far as staying the weekend, it's just a way to avoid having the long drive home, and not being able to hang out. Some people stay so they can party, and some stay so they don't have drive hours back and forth, and they get more time to jump.

Some DZs have camping right on the DZ, and it's common to find a shower house somewhere on the DZ. Some people will sleep in the hanger, or on a couch in the office, or anywhere else they can manage, maybe even in their car. Nearby hotels are one option, and sometimes you can find another jumper who lives nearby who's willing to share a couch or an extra bed (or their own bed) with you.

The basic deal with DZs are you pay your money, follow the BSRs, the DZ rules and FAA regs, and you're all set. Everything else is optional, and whatever you want to make of it. Feel free to do, or not do, whatever you want, and nobody will give you a hard time about any of it.

If this helps one student brought home made cookies, brownies, every time she came to the DZ. I loved it until I realized she was sabotaging my wing loading.lol

After complaining about my caloric intake, (ie,my fat ass) she has since brought tuna and turkey sandwhiches...lol

Beer Beer Beer, It's paying your dues to the sport. I just received my A license and everything I do cost a case of beer. Fly through your first "industrial hase" a case, your first 4 way, a case, your first time shitting at the DZ a case, but look at all the benefits you get! All the stories you get to listen to while everyone drinks your beer! That stuff is priceless! Hell my DZ has Hand signals for Beer! It's taught in the AFF training right along with arch, circle of awareness, legs, pull and most importantly, RELAX, Arms extended, bent at the elbows with palms up, That's just apart of the deal man. Think of it like this, You not buying beer but becoming more familiar with the ones that will teach you to live. Lighten up and just start bringing the beer with you ahead of time. Before you know it someone else will be doing all the first time things that require payment into the guild and you will be one of the ones presenting the hand signal to the newbie.....
One little tip, Don't ever say that was the first time for anything. That always cost a case! Blue Skies
The end result is directly connected to the effort applied