npgraphicdesign

People that don't jump often.

Due to money/time constraints, and trying to find a job in my field, I can't spend too much money on jumping, which equates to one or two weekends (one day each weekend) per month, in a best case scenario. While there are some GREAT people at my home DZ, there are a few regulars and even instructors who are somewhat snobby. I've heard comments like 'oh you're not a real skydiver, I barely even see you here' or 'wait, you actually have a license now?'.

I know that there's a lot of humor and sarcasm and wiseassedness that comes along with skydivers and skydiving culture, and I can definitely take it and give it. But, some people's comments are borderline offensive. Especially if they come from an instructor who, if you ask a serious skydiving question, would (or should) answer it seriously. But oft times, I get such a condescending answer, that I regret having asked the question in the first place.

Anyone else experience that? For the record, I have 65 jumps, and received my license in January of last year. If I could jump every other weekend, or even every weekend once or twice...I would. :S

Fuck that...I'd find a new DZ if I were you...Im the new young guy at the DZ and everyone makes me feel welcome...even if I don't have money to jump I still go to the DZ to hang out, help the DZO's with random shit(take out the trash, clean up the packing area, etc.)...maybe try that...if you can't afford to jump at least be around the DZ and make yourself useful and get to know everyone

eta: my advice, not just the 'fuck that' part

Fuck that...I'd find a new DZ if I were you

well that's a bit too drastic, as there are some great people that I've learned a lot from. And that is worth putting up with a few shitty comments. But once in a while...those comments get to you. I'm passionate about skydiving as much as they are...but I just can't dedicate as much time to my passion as I want to, at least at this point in time.

Maybe relocating to California will help :P

I'm passionate about skydiving as much as they are...but I just can't dedicate as much time to my passion as I want to, at least at this point in time.

Obviously, you're not, or you'd be living in a trailer at the dz eating ramen noodles.

The fact is, if you really were, you'd find a way to be getting in jumps instead of not going out to the dz.

It doesn't take a lot of jumps to get a coach or instructor rating to actually start paying for your jumping -- none to start packing. i've seen many packers who make more money than the instructors at the dz. So it can be done.

And maybe some of the instructors aren't out all that much to the dz, and really don't know what stage you;re at in your jumping. So they could be genuinely surprised to hear you've got the licence now -- who knows.
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

I'm passionate about skydiving as much as they are...but I just can't dedicate as much time to my passion as I want to, at least at this point in time.

Obviously, you're not, or you'd be living in a trailer at the dz eating ramen noodles.

The fact is, if you really were, you'd find a way to be getting in jumps instead of not going out to the dz.

It doesn't take a lot of jumps to get a coach or instructor rating to actually start paying for your jumping -- none to start packing. i've seen many packers who make more money than the instructors at the dz. So it can be done.

And maybe some of the instructors aren't out all that much to the dz, and really don't know what stage you;re at in your jumping. So they could be genuinely surprised to hear you've got the licence now -- who knows.

People like you with their ignorant comments is what gets to me. You have no idea what's going on in my life outside of skydiving, and many people I know from there DO know what's going on & understand that, and don't give me crap for it, and don't make ignorant comments like you just did.

I love skydiving but right now my FIRST priority is getting my career on track. Yes I want to be on the DZ more, yes I want to get my coach rating, yes I want to be an AFFI some day. Until I have time and money to do all those things, it won't happen, or won't happen as often or quickly as I want it to. Simple as that...and I'm surprised not all people understand that...skydivers are suppose to be flexible and understanding. ;)

There will always be snobs but few of them will actually confront you & make fun of your progress.

If you're averaging 60 jumps per year you are far more current than I've ever been, except for a few years in the '90's when I made 60-70 jumps per year (before the kids began arriving.) There is NOTHING wrong with making a few jumps a month, or even per year. It is not dangerous at all as long as you respect your personal limitations. Advancing will take much longer, of course, but it will happen.

The big issues would be dealing with people who won't jump with you, at least not often (nothing personal, you're just not up to their skill level) and, more important, dealing with a DZ culture that has been brainwashed into believing that people who jump sporadically need frequent retraining and close supervision, lest they forget to pull or otherwise brainlock on basic survival skills such as EP's & landing safely.

Cheers,
Jon S.

People like you with their ignorant comments is what gets to me. You have no idea what's going on in my life outside of skydiving, and many people I know from there DO know what's going on & understand that, and don't give me crap for it, and don't make ignorant comments like you just did.

All I did was state a fact. You claim you're as passionate as anyone about jumping, but you're not willing to make sacrifices to jump more. Ergo, you're not as passionate as many people about it.

I'm not giving you crap about it. I never said you had to jump more. Just that if you were as passionate as the people making more jumps, you would be making more jumps.

When I was getting into skydiving, money went in order to JUMPS, BEER, RENT, maybe food if there was anything left over. It wasn't glamorous. I'm not saying you should do it. But the fact you're not disproves your claim....
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.

RAMEN NOODLES! Those costs MONEY! Money that could be used for SKYDIVES! Pshaw! A REAL skydiver would save those valuable skydiving pennies and fish though dumpsters for food.

Edited to add: I guess some people see being passionate as a very binary distinction. Either you are or you are not passionate. No in between.

You have the tough part figured out. It’s your life and you have to go where your heart takes you. Sure you could work as an instructor, coach or a packer but you want to turn your recreation into a job. I have seen way too many jumpers that burn out in 3 to 5 years because they lose sight of what they enjoyed about jumping in the beginning. And I have seen way too many jumpers that wake up one morning, in a beat up trailer on some DZ, look in the mirror and see a 50 year old has been and realize this is as good as it’s going to get. Some if you can make 50/60 jumps a year and enjoy them good for you.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

People like you with their ignorant comments is what gets to me.

Yeah, that was seriously ignorant... he has no idea that all trailers were evicted from the dropzone a few years ago!

Seriously though... the same people that give you crap also receive the same crap when they take a half day off to do family stuff. It's nothing personal. I mean it can't be THAT bad... you've only been out once in the last 3 years! :P Just kidding!

PS: Did you hear we got a twin otter this year?

Sorry! Kidding! Really! :)
And consider the idea that you get crap to push you to come out more often. That's a good thing.

PPS: The temperature during the day is over 60 degrees. You can come out now! Sorry! Couldn't resist! :P

Dave

I guess some people see being passionate as a very binary distinction. Either you are or you are not passionate. No in between.

Aaah, see, that's not actually true (at least in my case). The OP actually said he 'is passionate as much as', and I pointed out he can't be. I didn't say he's not passionate, just not as passionate.

And it really doesn't matter to me either. I will recommend to people to come out as much as they can, but I realize there are reasons why it isn't easy or possible in some cases. All a matter of what you're willing to give up.

Seems to me it's nobody else's business how often the OP comes out, but maybe if he's decided this is how much he'll be out then he should grow a thicker skin.

It's pretty simple. He's the one complaining he can't come out enuf. So he's not as passionate as the ones that are out all the time, giving up careers, giving up lifestyles, giving up families, sometimes....

Doesn't make him a bad person, and I never said he was.

Aaah, see, that's not actually true (at least in my case). The OP actually said he 'is passionate as much as', and I pointed out he can't be. I didn't say he's not passionate, just not as passionate.

Some get into the Great Dropzone in the Sky...and some don't :)
"It's hard to have fun at 4-way unless your whole team gets down to the ground safely to do it again!"--Northern California Skydiving League re USPA Safety Day, March 8, 2014

I love skydiving but right now my FIRST priority is getting my career on track. Yes I want to be on the DZ more, yes I want to get my coach rating, yes I want to be an AFFI some day. Until I have time and money to do all those things, it won't happen, or won't happen as often or quickly as I want it to. Simple as that...and I'm surprised not all people understand that...skydivers are suppose to be flexible and understanding. ;)

AMEN Brother...keep doing what your doing. Never over extend yourself to add a couple of extra jumps - there is always tomorrow. You stay reasonably current, you have fun when you go to the DZ...keep your career target on track to benefit yourself in the long run, and I'd say you have a pretty level head on your shoulders.

The knucklehead that decides he's going to spend every last dime on skydiving, load up the credit cards and go nuts - is going to be the dude that regrets alot of things when retirement time hits and he's got to go work the checkout line at Piggly Wiggly.

And to claim someone is not as passionate about skydiving because they don't make stupid financial decisions and drop every last dime and minute on the sport is ridiculous.

I didn't realize this was a contest to see who was the most "dedicated and passionate" about this ridiculous sport. I love skydiving as much as the next guy - but at the end of the day for most, it is simply this...an expensive recreational activity.

That is true, some end up at the Bandit dz., or working forever for the Great Master Rigger.

Ya know what...when you jump less often you savor the flavor that much more! B|

Compare my jump numbers to time in the sport and guess what, comes out to a couple jumps every other weekend for a few decades...yeah so what, I've been a lotta places and seen a lotta things I would have missed, if I spent 1/2 my life in sweaty spandex at a makeshift airport. :ph34r:;)

I've known a few Ramon noodle eatin', tent sleepin', hardcore skydivers here & there...wouldn't trade MY life for theirs on ANY day.

Maybe they feel the same, and that's great!

Somebody gives ya shit, tell em you're not in it for their approval! :)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

People like you with their ignorant comments is what gets to me.

Yeah, that was seriously ignorant... he has no idea that all trailers were evicted from the dropzone a few years ago!

Seriously though... the same people that give you crap also receive the same crap when they take a half day off to do family stuff. It's nothing personal. I mean it can't be THAT bad... you've only been out once in the last 3 years! :P Just kidding!

PS: Did you hear we got a twin otter this year?

Sorry! Kidding! Really! :)
And consider the idea that you get crap to push you to come out more often. That's a good thing.

PPS: The temperature during the day is over 60 degrees. You can come out now! Sorry! Couldn't resist! :P

Dave

See Dave...you're not one of those people, because you actually have a SENSE OF HUMOR. :P

I'll be out Sunday...so kiss my hairy Russian behind. :D:ph34r:

FWIW, your passion isn't measured in jump numbers, but rather in your enthusiasm and in how much you make each jump count in your own mental logbook.
Jumping is supposed to be about having fun.
With some, it becomes a serious imbalance in their lives (me, for example) but that doesn't mean I'm any more passionate than you are, it merely means I approach it from a different lifestyle.

Enjoy your jumps. Don't let anyone diminish your enthusiasm or desire simply because you're not rackin' up the numbers like they did/are.
It's truly all about you, how the experiences feel to you, and like Twardo said...you savor the flavor longer when it's not 10-15 jumps a day on the weekends.
Have fun. That's what skydiving is supposed to be about, no?

+1 to what DSE said!

About 10 years ago, there were a few skydivers on my DZ, that turned racking up jump numbers into a competition.

I used to get hasseled because there was no way I could afford to keep up with them.

10 years later, it seems that out of this group, I am the only one still in love with the sport and still jumping.

If all you ever do in life is skydive, it's hard for most people to maintain a passion for it.

Don't worry about anyone else. Live your life your way.