Skydivesg

FAA ramp checks??

I got ramp checked today. Twice to be accurate. I got fuel at the county airport and got ramp checked as a balloon event was taking place 15 miles away and they had extra people from the FSDO in town. Then an hour later at an airport to fly a demo I got ramp checked again. Got through everything fine but twice in one day. In fact in the middle of the second one the inspector from the first showed up. Oh well I should be good for my demo tommorrow right.

Is there some kind of nationwide "crackdown" going on with parachute operations?

It's not a "Crack down". It's called increased over sight due to the numerous aircraft incidents & accidents. It mainly started with the Quantum Leap accident.
The FAA has always made some type of presence at DZs, but do to recent mandates (going back to recent accidents) the FAA, at the local level, is now required to do more "Visits."
For a 135 operation the inspectors are required to log at least 2 inspection visits per year. For 121 I'm not sure.
Skydiving falls in a very grey area between Part 91 & 135. Due to the fact that the aircraft takes off & lands at the same airport on the same flight & also never goes more than 25 miles from that airport makes it a Part 91 flight. But, jumpers pay for the ride to altitude, which makes it a commercial operation.
The average general aviation Part 91 pilot may never see an FAA inspector the whole time they fly.
The Feds want to make it alittle more like 135.

I found something that might shed some light on this. The FAA was interested in putting our bigger planes under part 125. but the USPA got the FAA to rule in our favor, saving us a lot of time, money and complication. Keep paying those dues, guys. It's worth the dough.;)

http://www.uspa.org/NewsEvents/News/tabid/59/ctl/Detail/mid/797/xmid/3017/xmfid/19/Default.aspx