jump2live

Pro's and Con's Ohio vs. California DZ's

I never quite understood that kind of attitude when applied to students, especially raw beginners. Some pretty top-notch jumpers started out as pretty fucked-up students.

Yeah I can surely understand that, but I just compare that person to the person who flies through AFF without a problem. If both put in the same effort, the one who grasped it right away will be far more skilled and able to adapt. The other has to put in extra effort just to get to a suitable level, and I feel that this sport is just one of those that if it isn't your thing, not working out the best for you, then don't fight the current you know. But like you say, some really have a passion and if they can fight through it and come out on top then more power to them.
Stay high pull low

You live in CA.... Is there a DZ close to where you live?

If so, I would look it up on the DZ database and see what people have to say about it.

That would be my first choice.

If you just have a desire to travel... Keep on keeping on....
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Just my personal anecdote on the situation.

I'm glad that method worked out well for you, but I base my opinion on radios and student training not on my own single experience as a student, but on the 1000's of students I have worked with over the years.

See my post above this one for a link to a thread about radios and student training. The radio is not intended to be a replacement for good training, but a back up device for unforeseen circumstances. Instructors who use a radio are free to say nothing if all is going well, but they have the option of assisting the student if the need arises. Instructors without a radio have no recourse if things do not go according to plan.