tsalnukt

Exit Seperation

Sorry about the clarity. Thanks, this is the information that I am trying to extract form this conversation. anyone else???

Do hop and pops, be the first out, no need to worry about seperation.

OR, just ask for a go-around when its your turn to jump... screw the fuel!

(just kiddin):D
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

>This i what you tell visiting jumpers when you give them a DZ briefing at your DZ?

If they ask, yes. If they're just asking how much separation to give, I just tell them "strong uppers today so 20 seconds." (DZ briefings are intended to tell jumpers the unique issues/dangers at a DZ, not to teach them how to spot.)

Why do you ask? Do you think the method I listed is too hard for skydivers to understand?

People actually talk about that shit? From reading here I thought they did and then I started actually skydiving and asked the person behind me how much time they were going to give me and and they usually look at me like I asked them the square root of something and mumble something about either 45 degrees or 5 or 6 seconds or say "plenty" or "GO!"[:/]

So I always make sure to give the person out in front of me extra and hope the big sky theory pays off:S

Question for you Bill,

My DZ flies the Otter on the same direction jump run regardless of wind. How does that affect procedure?

People actually talk about that shit? From reading here I thought they did and then I started actually skydiving and asked the person behind me how much time they were going to give me and and they usually look at me like I asked them the square root of something and mumble something about either 45 degrees or 5 or 6 seconds or say "plenty" or "GO!"[:/]

So I always make sure to give the person out in front of me extra and hope the big sky theory pays off:S

Uhh... what dz was this?

Question for you Bill,

My DZ flies the Otter on the same direction jump run regardless of wind. How does that affect procedure?

"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Question for you Bill,

www.iit.edu/~ugcol/separation.zip

Complete explanation.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

I'm not here to bag on my DZ, I just like info on how to keep myself safe at it and ok yeah a bit of an exaggeration. The instructors def pay attention and know whats up but about half of the people I have asked have told me 45 degrees or 5 or 6 seconds and I rarely hear any discussion about separation or uppers/groundspeed. People just seem to wait about 5 or 6 seconds or looksout the door until they feel satisfied. I try and argue for 7 but it does no good coming from someone with 20 jumps, sometimes I get a "sure, yep 7 seconds" or a lesson on what the 45 degree rule is and why it works, which is always disappointing.

Depends on which plane we are in -- normally 5 seconds + site picture of the previous group out. If there are unusualy high uppers, the jump pilot (a skydiver with thousands of jumps) or the S&TA will notify the instructors/fun jumpers of any special percautions to take.

I will say, having an extremely competent jump pilot does make for rusty spotting skills

~Gav
Life doesn't need reasons, just participants.

D.S.#21

Using "angles" is as accurate as witchcraft and should never be taught anymore.

[Sarcasm]

Oh, I don't know, Pzone, I've seen the 45deg rule work, but only when y'all get a committee of folks at the back of the plane arguing over whether or not the group that just left in front of them has reached 45deg yet... because they forgot their protractor... and it takes them a good 30 or more seconds to sort it out before deciding to just climb out and go...

:P

[/Sarcasm]

:D:D:D

But seriously, the 45deg rule is a bunch of bunk. :|

Many thanks for the work that went into the material you have at this link. I used it recently when staff at my DZ told me that in low winds free fliers should exit before RW. Thanks to the information you provided, this policy has now been changed to RW should go before free fliers. :)
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -- Albert Einstein

For fast airplanes (King Airs etc) wait at least five seconds. If winds are strong, divide the uppers by 3 and wait that number of seconds.

What is the exit speed of the king air?...I know it feels a hell of a lot faster than anything else I've been in.