quesera

Tipping instructors?

I'm working on my license right now, and tipping instructors really doesn't seem part of the "culture" at my DZ, so I never did. It seems odd though, because they definitely don't get paid enough, and they're doing a pretty significant thing.

Do you guys think it would be appropriate to send the staff some kind of communal gift? I should have my license this month, and was trying to think of a "thank you" thing to send. What do you think would be appropriate?

Do other DZs have tipping? I hope I'm not committing some huge faux pas....

I'm working on my license right now, and tipping instructors really doesn't seem part of the "culture" at my DZ, so I never did. It seems odd though, because they definitely don't get paid enough, and they're doing a pretty significant thing.

Do you guys think it would be appropriate to send the staff some kind of communal gift? I should have my license this month, and was trying to think of a "thank you" thing to send. What do you think would be appropriate?

Do other DZs have tipping? I hope I'm not committing some huge faux pas....

Tipping is fine, or you could use that money, go buy some beer for after the last load goes up, and get to know the guys at the DZ better. (Walk around and offer beer to anyone that wants one) You'll have friends pretty quickly!;)
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

For a "student" that does one tandem and never comes back, leaving much of the work to the Tandem Instructor and video guy to show a good time, a tip is nice.

For a student that is working towards a license, I would rather see that money spent on worth while things like beer for the end of the day. Or if you really feel bad, get some gatorade for your instructor during the day. The best tip I've received so far is a former student of mine becoming a very good RW flier, having completed some bigways and other neat jumps. The other best tip I've received are former students becoming instructors themselves and passing on our passion for skydiving! The absolute biggest tip I've ever had is a former student of mine that I ask for guidance/coaching for skydiving, since they have well surpassed my skill set! That really makes me smile.:)

--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

When I do first jump tandem, being handed a nice tip afterward is a nice way of saying 'thanks'.

Anything else though - an instructional tandem or AFF jump? To have the student hang around and share some beer is far more rewarding.

Beer - the nectar of knowledge.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

Thanks everyone!

Sounds like the consensus is beer :)
I wasn't sure if it would be "professional" to bring alcohol, but I think I will pick up a case for after the last plane is grounded for the day.

And yes, I definitely appreciate my packers too!

When I was learning, in the hot summertime, I used to bring a whole cooler of cold waters to the DZ every weekend. It was not a beer, but just as good sometimes.
Take chances, just do it with all the information to make good decisions!!

Muff Brother# 2706 Dudeist Skydiver# 121.5