marksaadet27

Skydiving with hip replacement

As I wait for my pending AFF course wait wait wait!!!!!! there is just one question I want to ask. Although I would say I am pritty fit I have a hip replacement.
Now thats never stopped me doing crazy things in the past skiing motorcycles jet skis bla bla bla but is there any guys out there who have similar ailements and are jumping without any issues.

Having only completed one tandem jump so far which was not the most confortable I would assume that when you have your own chute the body harness is a lot more comfortable. Or is there additional padding you could use to give more comfort.

Thanks guys and gals blue skies and stay safe;)

I made many hundred jumps on a hip replacement.
Just be conservative in your canopy choice. The little tiny canopy isnt always gonna land you perfect.
The conservative canopy may not either but at least you will have a margin of error.

bozo
Pain is fleeting. Glory lasts forever. Chicks dig scars.

There's a 60-something lady at Skydive Chicago who skydives with 2 artificial hips.

Jan Davis put 4500 jumps on twin artificial hips before she went in.

bozo
Pain is fleeting. Glory lasts forever. Chicks dig scars.

Mark,
The problem isn't with skydiving and a hip replacement. You should be able to do it as long as you are conservative.

The thing you need be aware of is the risk. If you fracture a normal hip you have all kinds of options for fixing it.

If you "break" a total hip replacement, the fix will never be as good as you have now. A broken hip or knee prosthesis is a nightmare for an orthopedic surgeon and will almost certainly take you out of commission for at least a year, if not several.

I AM NOT SAYING TO STAY OUT OF THE AIR, I'm just saying that you need to know the risk, that's all.

Jeff
Take chances, just do it with all the information to make good decisions!!

Muff Brother# 2706 Dudeist Skydiver# 121.5