Misternatural

A Messing of the Minds

Hi
I am always trying to figure out what is good behavioral protocol at DZ's. For example when I see a student hanging around i always try to start a conversation with them usually by starting out with "You jumping out of a plane today?(yes).....that's fU$%in' crazy." it usually makes them smile or at least cuts through the neurosis. We all know not to give any instructional pointers- but how to balance the Truman Sparks kidding around part of the sport with the danger is the question. How do you greet students and what are some good guidelines when talking to new people at the DZ?
Beware of the collateralizing and monetization of your desires.
D S #3.1415

"what mishap..."
That's a good one...OK if I use it?

Beer :)

Ummm...pray that the parachute opens? :P

Whatever you do, do NOT ask students questions that are on their AFF quizzes, even as a joke. I asked a student one of the questions and made light of the exaggerated answer that I gave him, making sure he knew that the answer was a joke and NOT the correct answer, and he understood that. Well I got chewed out by an instructor for that who overheard our conversation. :S:|

Yeah I stay away from the instructor stuff as a rule but get into trouble sometimes too;

One student was all geared up walking around with this amped up look and I said "OK make sure your junk is not caught under the straps that's rule #1"
:|

The poor kid didn't know what to make of that at first. But then joined in on the joke.

My best student memories were of the jumpers messing with my brain, it made me feel welcome.
But this is what I mean, it's a fine line to tread.

D S #3.1415

Yeah I stay away from the instructor stuff as a rule but get into trouble sometimes too;

One student was all geared up walking around with this amped up look and I said "OK make sure your junk is not caught under the straps that's rule #1"
:|

The poor kid didn't know what to make of that at first. But then joined in on the joke.

My best student memories were of the jumpers messing with my brain, it made me feel welcome.
But this is what I mean, it's a fine line to tread.

9.2 jumps as an average per year; dont really know what to do with that.. :|
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

hehe See, I don't even know his channel, just saw skydiving in the browse and clicked- but didn't know he was going to react like that. I think the staff handled it perfectly and he was certainly a good sport for posting and being ok with it- at 100,000 subs. Most of the time that would end up on Fail Blog and then people have to live it down. I just remember seeing that action on the beer list somewhere though, does it apply to students as part of the rites?
D S #3.1415