jigneshsoni

When is the right time for buying a gear?

I am doing a AFP program at STL. I finsihed my last and final tandem level 4. Now I will be soon doing the AFF level 1.

I would like opinion from you guys what will be the right time to shop for gear? What kind of gear should I go for? What are all my options to buy it from?

Appreciate all your help in advance.

Thanks
Jignesh

There's some great articles here that would be a good starting point to answer many of your questions.

http://www.dropzone.com/safety/Gear_and_Equipment/index.shtml
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I waited until I had about 50 jumps and was down to roughly a 1:1 w/l before I bought my own gear. I went with used gear so I wouldn't care as much if I got it dirty and to save some money.

If I could go back in time, I would have bought a new custom rig instead of a used one for comfort reasons and put the same used canopies/AAD in it.

Not a recommendation, just my experience.
________________________________________________________________________________
when in doubt... hook it!

Well, there's gear and then there's gear. Its not too soon to invest in a pair of goggles. They are inexpensive, and your own goggles can really add to the comfort and enjoyment of your student jumps.

If you're a problematic faller (too slow or too fast) or a lot larger or smaller than average, you might think about a custom jumpsuit sooner rather then later, but that's something to talk about with your jumpmasters after a few AFP or AFF jumps.

After you graduate, most DZs are slightly less generous about loaning out stuff like helmets and altimeters so you'll want your own.

Aside from that, I think you should take a little time once you are off student status to learn about the different types of parachutes and containers there are. A complete parachute system is expensive, especially if you order brand new. You should take some time and do the research to make sure you get what works best for you. (Not too much time because renting gear can get expensive really fast!)

Tigra is right. You should first buy the things that don't cost as much, this way you will progress and gain more knoweldge on what type of rig is good for you. I bought my rig like at 90 jumps, and I think it was the perfect time for me.
All your attention should be on learning what is important about skydiving, not dying.

Much like Hookncrater, I'll give my experience rather than a recommendation. I got used gear at a 1:1 WL starting jump number 26 off student status. This was partly because student gear was required at my home DZ during student status. My rig didn't fit me perfectly, but I was very happy to have used gear for my first 150-200 jumps, as it saved me considerable money when I downsized around jump 200 and got my custom rig.

I got a strong urge to fly, but I got no where to fly to. -PF

Well, there's gear and then there's gear. Its not too soon to invest in a pair of goggles. They are inexpensive, and your own goggles can really add to the comfort and enjoyment of your student jumps.

If you're a problematic faller (too slow or too fast) or a lot larger or smaller than average, you might think about a custom jumpsuit sooner rather then later, but that's something to talk about with your jumpmasters after a few AFP or AFF jumps.

After you graduate, most DZs are slightly less generous about loaning out stuff like helmets and altimeters so you'll want your own.

Aside from that, I think you should take a little time once you are off student status to learn about the different types of parachutes and containers there are. A complete parachute system is expensive, especially if you order brand new. You should take some time and do the research to make sure you get what works best for you. (Not too much time because renting gear can get expensive really fast!)

What is too small or too large. I am sure I am not too large. HAHA.

Do you guys think I am too small? I am around 5feet 4 1/2 inches. I weight around 155lbs.

Thanks
Jignesh

No, I don't think you are so small you'll have a problem finding a suit that fits properly, nor should you have any major fall rate issues.
They keep student jumpsuits in a variety of sizes and they work just fine for *most* students. :)

I would like opinion from you guys what will be the right time to shop for gear

Since you're not one of the special cases (over 250lbs, under 100), after you get your A. It's a huge expense on top of your training costs and you don't know what works for you yet.

When you finish the expensive student jumps and they (may) want you to pay $5 each for a helmet and altitimeter, get those. Protec, goggles and a nice alti3 run in the ballpark of $200.

Jumpsuit is a funny one. I got a ok fitting on off the 50% off rack at a boggie, but otherwise I might have continuing using or renting the student ones. Had I ordered one then, I would have made some bad choices (no booties), I suspect.

Tigra, I had a brand spanking new pair of goggles for my first jump. . .I was EXTREMELY happy that I purchased these instead of using the student goggles. . .they were all HORRIBLE.

I graduated AFF in January 2004, got my A license shortly thereafter. I purchased gear shortly after getting my A license because it was income tax season, I had just got my check (read: single parent head of household = lg income tax check) and there was a rig at Ground Zero gear store at Elsi that suited my needs and fit perfectly. I am still using that rig though I did downsize the canopy to a 170. (originally loaded with a 210). I would love to buy a new container and downsize to a 150, but it will wait till after I finish nursing school and can jump more consistently.
FGF #6
Darcy

I had all my gear purchased by jump 15 or so. The rig was used, but serves my purposes quite well, I'm happy with it, and it saved me a fortune in gear rentals. For now, with 70+ jumps, I have no desire to downsize, my .97 wing loading is just fine with me.

I talked with several folks at the DZ, especially the master rigger there, and followed their recommendations since I was (and still am) too new to make a decision like this completely independently. And I wanted their feedback as to when I was ready to go from a student rig to my own.

Jen

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

I was just reading through my first logbook last night and realized my first jump on my own gear was on my 113th jump. That's too long.

I once had a student who bought gear before he'd ever made a jump. I think he made 30ish jumps before selling his gear and leaving the sport. That's too short.

Get off of student status, get your A-license, then start considering used gear that won't break your bank account. Also, consult your instructors and other experienced jumpers (other than the one trying to sell it to you) before making a decision

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

How much does it cost to rent gear at your DZ? A low rental cost means you can get more experience jumping their gear longer.

Also, remember that 1:1 wingloading is a maximum (IMHO) for under 100 jumps. Nothing wrong with a few extra square feet over your head when your just starting out.

If you can find a rig that fits well, used gear can be a great value. Same for jumpsuits, helmets and all the rest. I've gotten some smokin' deals on used stuff. Just keep looking. Find a rigger or two who's opinions you trust and ask if they'll give you opinions on used gear you may find. Most will be glad to help.

Remember that Cypress AAD's have a 12 year life span and a required maintenance schedule. Make sure any Cypress you purchase is prorated for the life span remaining and maintenance pending.

Good luck!

Even a cheap Sorz googles. Much easier to keep clean, more fashionable than most student goggles, although they still scratch quite easily.

I got my alti, gloves and goggles on time for my 35th jump, and I got my rig for my 60th jump. (I test jumped it on the 59th jump before buying)

I do have an exception. I do not have an A yet because I needed to have my own rig first so I could pack-train. According to the PIM's (Canada's version of SIM's), I believe I have met the requirements except for the pack training and paper tests. Need more work on RW, but I think that's for the B. Ah, I'll just have to be patient!