castrodavidd

Abuquerque Balloon Festival 2010

Does any know for sure if they allow jumpers at the ballon festival?
Is thier anyone on here that has actually done it?
How recently?
And last but not least how hard was it to convince some one to take you up.

At the All Ohio Balloon Festival in 2002 (held just a half mile from my home), absolutely none of them had any interest at all. Insurance concerns, it will damage my balloon, blah, blah.

I recommend that you not waste your time.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

I went to the hot air balloon festival held bi-annually in Metz France (over 400 balloons), and after nagging what must have been at least 100 pilots, someone took me up despite the regulations and lawyers.

With the amount of balloons at the Abuquerque festival, you may very well get lucky.

Of course lawyers are worse in America, so you're results may vary. But if it isn't too long of a drive, it'll be one of the more spectacular jumps you'll ever make.

Can't succeed if you don't try. Worst case scenario you get to watch a balloon festival.

My "Opinion" is unles you know one of the pilots, and he agrees to get you to safe (for a skydiver) altitude, it will basically be a BASE jump , and I hope you pack accordingly, most ballon festivals I have seen seldom go very high, or by the time thye are, there is no disignated landing area.....

I'd say fuck it, higher a ballon at the local DZ...fewer headaches!

I don't know if they allow it at the festival, but I do know one of the pilots there who is skydiver friendly. Look up Tim Durham Five Dollars balloon at http://www.balloonfestivalvolunteerchasecrew.com/photos/photos2006_0.php

It shows his location as Albuquerque, but he used to live a few miles from me. One day when he flew over my house I followed and eventually was able to make a jump from his balloon. I did have to spend some time helping crew for him, but that was fun too. Besides me, he had only taken one other jumper up, but he seemed to know what he was doing.

contact the folks at Skydive New Mexico. There are tons of balloon pilots who live in the area, and the SNM guys definitely know the ones who are jumper-friendly. Don't expect to get to jump during the mass ascensions in the AM or anything like that, though.

And if you haven't jumped at SNM, you should. yes, they have 182s, but they are the friendliest, nicest bunch of people you'll ever meet. it's an AWESOME place to call your home DZ.
Never meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!